Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to get your existing inserts out so you can install the weighted ones? Or do you just use them in new arrows?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Drill bit. Sling it down the shaft and knock em out. Other option is heat em and try to pull em. I’ve heated shafts and never had a problem. Some guys freak and say it breaks down the carbon but I’ve never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
small amount of heat and the drill bit trick at the same time. If you can't get them out its new arrows or slide weights in from the back and glue them behind your inserts.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
there are a few good ways already mentioned. for factory glued inserts, they use super glue, so the drill bit method. for most everything else, its hot melt, so a lighter and pliers. if epoxied, its a really depends how much was used if it will work at all. most likely, the arrow will be ruined.

with the drill bit method, it helps a lot to NOT have a field point in there, just the plain insert.

depending on arrow length, you can just cut the shaft behind the existing insert as well. i shoot a 27" arrow, so when i get ones that are factory glued at 31" or 29", i just cut the arrow and toss the old insert. i use brass inserts on all my arrows.

when using brass inserts, use hot melt glue, then its as simple as a lighter to change/remove them. brass is soft (so is aluminum) compared to the steel drill bit, so you can mangle the backs of the inserts.

3riversarchery.com is where i get all my brass, $12 a dozen, so its cheap. their 100gr inserts are not threaded in the rear section where the 50gr ones are. (for FACT weights)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks everyone, I appreciate the input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts