Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else on here ship out their items they are selling without recieving payment??? I was working with a guy on selling some lumenoks to him and he got really pissed that I wan't trusting him enough to send him the merchandise before I got payment. His track record was great and actually...I would have done it but he just blew up at me about no trust because I said "sure they are available when I get payment I ship same day." His name is phumb. I am not bashing him. But it seems weird that a person with a 92 feedback (100% positive) would get so worked up for no reason. Isn't that how it works on here always??? Let me know guys how it normally works because I don't understand why he was so weird. I know one thing... I would rather get the money from someone before I ship. That way there was no conufsion on price or anything else.

· Registered
466 Posts
I haven't done much business on here, but on other sites, I never ship until payment is received (and cleared) unless I personally know and trust the buyer. Out of all the transactions I've made, I've only had one bad experience. I once got a money order for a couple of shotguns that I was selling and it turned out to be a bogus m.o. So from now on, nothing gets shipped until it clears the bank.

-WRM

· Registered
3,402 Posts
I have shipped an item before payment before, but only after talking to them for awhile.

No matter what though a buyer should never go off over what you described. I don't go off on the people at the archery shop because they will not give me a bow before I pay.

· Banned
1,400 Posts
I would say usual and customary practice is to receive payment then ship. Pretty much that way on the net whether it be here or numerous other classifieds in other forums, even ebay.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
You should always get payment first. I would never expect anyone who does not know me to ship an item without first receiving payment. Some people have the "hand shake" mentality that their word or handshake is a binding contract (and most of the time it is) and can get irrate if you question it. I've had dozens of online transactions and never had an issue, but 20 years ago I took a $300.00 check for an old car and was taught a valuable lesson on how some people will play on your good faith.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
I would say usual and customary practice is to receive payment then ship. Pretty much that way on the net whether it be here or numerous other classifieds in other forums, even ebay.
:nod: I would never ship without $$$ in hand, unless its a good buddy and even then, I am currently being ripped on that transaction...

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I wouldn't ship either until I was paid. Not to steal the thread but this reminds of a guy I dealt with recently, I design steel buildings and work some with the customers. I designed a building for a guy recently and he said he would take it. I explained the terms and he said he wanted C.O.D. I said well thats fine let me send you a credit app. and if that goes thru we can do C.O.D. He gets pissed and says his word is his bond and he dosen't fill out credit apps, and it was insulting that I would ask him too. :confused: People are funny.

· Registered
1,249 Posts
I've done a lot of internet transactions, some I shipped when the guys said payment was on the way, some I waited until payment arrived, luckily I've never been scammed. Lately I find that I wait until I have the money before shipping. I do think it's rediculous for a guy to expect you ship an item before payment has been received ...

· Registered
4,289 Posts
I have shipped and traded several things before receiving trade or payment, to trustworthy members, And have had others do the same for Me. Although nothing was over $100 or so, Except a bow I traded, We just agreed to ship them same day after talking on the phone.

But there's nothing wrong with what You did, I would say that's the norm, and I certainly wouldn't have a problem if You did.

· Registered
7,438 Posts
I always receive payment prior to shipping.

· Banned
1,400 Posts
....... He gets pissed and says his word is his bond ....... :confused: People are funny.
Sad thing is, his word probably IS good but in today's world more and more often it isn't. I used to be very trusting of folks but as I get older I find more and more folks whose word isn't worth a darn.

I'd like to hear from some "old timers" on this if you're willing to share. How was it 50+ years ago? Was nearly everyone's word good back then or was it like today where truth and trust is a dying commodity.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
they dont let you leave walmart with out paying first why would some one expect to any different from some one else? I always get payment first.

· Registered
9,477 Posts
I do get payment first also, but the buyer is taking the sellers word also that when they recieve the money they will ship it.
Sometimes they don't
Comparing to walmart, you walk out with the item when leaving the store, so I don't see how that comparison is relevant.

Good feedback on a cheaper item I will ship first to someone that has good feedback

· Registered
9,477 Posts
Sad thing is, his word probably IS good but in today's world more and more often it isn't. I used to be very trusting of folks but as I get older I find more and more folks whose word isn't worth a darn.

I'd like to hear from some "old timers" on this if you're willing to share. How was it 50+ years ago? Was nearly everyone's word good back then or was it like today where truth and trust is a dying commodity.
Not taking sides but I know him and his word is good

· Registered
760 Posts
me

I always get payment 1st unless I know them well and like a guy above said hes bein jerked around even by a friend which I currently am in the same boat with someone who I thought I knew but apparently that doesnt matter!:pukey:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.