Archery Talk Forum banner

weird turkey gland

1000 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Tarheeler
so i was telling my mother-in-law about my up coming turkey hunt and she said that there is a gland in the turkey that puts off a bitter taste in the turkey if its not a clean kill anybody know about or is she wrong
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7,957 Posts
killed tons of the thunderchicken and never heard thatand never had a bad tasting bird yum yum

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I have only ever shot one with a shot gun, but I have never had a bad tasting bird. They are DELICIOUS! I would say an old wives tale, however, I don't think I would call your Mother in Law an Old Wife...at least not to her face. Just a guess. Good luck!

· Registered
7,957 Posts
I have only ever shot one with a shot gun, but I have never had a bad tasting bird. They are DELICIOUS! I would say an old wives tale, however, I don't think I would call your Mother in Law an Old Wife...at least not to her face. Just a guess. Good luck!
bud i love your quote

· Registered
973 Posts
Sure, they'll taste bad if you let them sit out in your yard for a few days before you clean it... Or if your dog walks up and takes a leak on it while your cleaning it... Maybe even if you cooked it with the guts inside it? HAHAHAH :)

Sure you have to do the proper cleaning job, you can't throw it in the barbeque head, guts , feathers and all... So I guess there is a "Proper Procedure".

· Registered
10,965 Posts
that gland is called the anus:lol3:

· Banned
4,880 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing.Ask her if she has ever eaten a turkeys gobble before and ask her if she knows what it is.I have several times and it isn't a wives tale.

· Banned
4,880 Posts
ya i know about the whole cleaning of a bird my uncle has a pheasant club and i have cleaned birds before,what is a turkey gobble,sorry for such a stupid question.
It aint a stupid question.It's the fatty breast sponge around a gobblers craw.It looks like a great big ball of snot.Some of the old timers call it the gobble.Here when we get a good acorn crop the turkeys will be fat and sassy the next spring.If they are fat and healthy then they feel more like sexing the hens up so they gobble more.You just pull it out,chunk it up,roll it in flower,add salt n' pepper and fry it in hog lard.It's pretty good.Tastes kind of like wild morell mushrooms.If you under cook it it aint very appetizing.

· Registered
262 Posts
Never heard of such a gland, but here's how I make them taste great.
Brine the turkey overnight.
Rinse after brining or it will be very salty.
Stuff it just like Thanksgiving.
Set raw bacon strips all over it and hold them in place with toothpicks.
Roast just like a grocery store bird, but I think wild birds don't take quite as much time, use a thermometer so you don't overcook.
Whoever does the carving gets to eat the bacon!

· Registered
651 Posts
preen gland

yup, talking about the preen gland. it sits at the top of the base of the preachers nose. birds hit it with their beaks then preen their feathers with the oily stuff from it. take a look at storebought chickens/turkeys and you will see where it is hand cut off of every bird as they go through the processing line. wild birds have even a more pronounced preen gland than domestics cause they actually live long enough to learn how to use it, lol.

· Registered
1,906 Posts
yup, talking about the preen gland. it sits at the top of the base of the preachers nose. birds hit it with their beaks then preen their feathers with the oily stuff from it. take a look at storebought chickens/turkeys and you will see where it is hand cut off of every bird as they go through the processing line. wild birds have even a more pronounced preen gland than domestics cause they actually live long enough to learn how to use it, lol.
found this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uropygial_gland

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.