Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asking my buddy who works about 2000 acres of land west of here to ask his landowner (he's a ranch hand) to see if I could hunt just the archery season for deer, since she only has rifle hunters from Nov-Jan. Well he calls me and says she's got no room on her place and the land adjacent to hers has 1 guy that has leased over 1000 acres for 30+ years so that land was out as well. Well, there was another fella there and he tells my buddy; "hell I got 400 acres that ain't never been hunted, he can hunt if he wants to this year but only with his bow". YIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Come to find out the whole place is wheat and oats, and has about 4 barns on it. My friend said he always sees alot of deer out there and some really nice bucks. So Thursday I'm going out to find me a spot for the opener coming up and get my Matrix set up and brushed in. I'll post some pics when I go out tomorrow to show what type of land it is.

I guess I'm excited because;
a) it's prime hunting land that has NEVER been hunted,
and
b) this guy just invited me out of the blue,
and
c) these have no pressure!!!!!

Can ya feel that excitement!!??

I'll keep y'all posted with pics hopefully.:tongue:

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Make one hell of a good impression so that he invites you back. Or better yet, depending on how well your hunting goes, ask him about leasing the land for archery season.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Way to go

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Congratulations and good luck.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Gift Basket

I would mail him a gift basket of some nice fruits and sausages and crackers and such. Just to thank him for the invite.

That or buy him a few :darkbeer:

·
Registered
636 Posts
gmherps said:
I've been asking my buddy who works about 2000 acres of land west of here to ask his landowner (he's a ranch hand) to see if I could hunt just the archery season for deer, since she only has rifle hunters from Nov-Jan. Well he calls me and says she's got no room on her place and the land adjacent to hers has 1 guy that has leased over 1000 acres for 30+ years so that land was out as well. Well, there was another fella there and he tells my buddy; "hell I got 400 acres that ain't never been hunted, he can hunt if he wants to this year but only with his bow". YIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Come to find out the whole place is wheat and oats, and has about 4 barns on it. My friend said he always sees alot of deer out there and some really nice bucks. So Thursday I'm going out to find me a spot for the opener coming up and get my Matrix set up and brushed in. I'll post some pics when I go out tomorrow to show what type of land it is.

I guess I'm excited because;
a) it's prime hunting land that has NEVER been hunted,
and
b) this guy just invited me out of the blue,
and
c) these have no pressure!!!!!

Can ya feel that excitement!!??

I'll keep y'all posted with pics hopefully.:tongue:
Gawd, I hate people like you! You're probably going to post a picture of some 190 buck you shoot on opening morning...walks right under your stand and has a big red mark behind his shoulder to anchor on...LOL

Good luck with the season!

Nate

·
Registered
382 Posts
I agree with elkhunter. There is always work to be done on a farm. Offer to help. A litttle backstrap won't hurt either.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,327 Posts
You did find the end of the rainbow!:wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Jump in with both hands and don't be shy, help out with all you can. There's no better way to build a good relationship with a land owner.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it's really good, offer to marry his daughter!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Do yourself a favor ... keep your good fortune completely to yourself! Do something nice for the guy; and then don't say a word to anyone, even the landowner; about what deer you're seeing and/or killing. If you get a deer, present him with some venison and clam up about racks, etc, etc. Word gets around FAST when yapping about big deer. He'll have a parade coming up to his front door if you don't keep your mouth disengaged. :wink: You go in there acting like a little kid on Christmas and he's going to figure out there's a lot more guys out there who are willing to pay a lot to use his land. I would work yourself around to formally leasing it if things work out for you too.

Congratulations ... enjoy yourself! :cocktail:

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
Dude, that is kind of how it played out for me. I did a small job for a farmer and when he asked how much he owed me, I told him I really would rather know if I could bow hunt some of his land. The rest as they say, is history.
I also told him it was just for me, no friends or family. I now have another 1000+ acres to hunt and have offered my future services to help him out. May the king of Whitetails present you with a standing 10 yard shot.
192 6/8

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
zmax hunter said:
Dude, that is kind of how it played out for me. I did a small job for a farmer and when he asked how much he owed me, I told him I really would rather know if I could bow hunt some of his land. The rest as they say, is history.
I also told him it was just for me, no friends or family. I now have another 1000+ acres to hunt and have offered my future services to help him out. May the king of Whitetails present you with a standing 10 yard shot.
192 6/8
Max, talk about inspiration man, you just fired me up BIG TIME!!!!! Thank you!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts