Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who know me, or have followed my posts about hunting properties know that I have been struggling to find a decent piece of land to hunt since my uncle sold my Gramp's farm in 04...

I have had great success and a lot of fun huting several smaller area since, but still onged for that "big woods" feel...

Well, today..I got the keys to the gate! :)

I gained permission to hunt 80 acres that is 22 minutes from my house...between work and home!

It is a piece owned by an Ecosystem Study organization, who own several thousand acres, all but this piece connected in another town..

There is only one other guy who hunts it, but "rarely" per the Wildlife Biologist that runs the place...they do have an slight issue with 4 wheelers trespassing, and the occasional hunter..but for the most part, it has been untouched for several years!

I am going to walk through it in a few days here...it has a network of wood roads throughout it as is common here in our area, so access to different parts will be a breeze...

I am pretty pumped, and I know 80 acres isnt alot to alot of you - but around here - it is a big score! In a few weeks I will be perched in a Summit stand...looking into the woods...and for the first time in 5 years....will not be able to see a house!:)

I wish you ALL the best deer season of your lives!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Congrats I love the feel of being out in the middle of the woods no house, road or car in sight. Hope you stick a big one :beer:

·
Archery Mafia Hitman
382 Posts
Awesome...........I hunt small parcels myself........I have great luck on them and are fairly easy to gain access to but big woods to have a totally different feel.........Congrats:darkbeer:

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Congrats Bro, I'm glad you scored that piece of ground...Hope you smoke a stud on it.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Nice Dan. Hopefully it turns out to be a little honey hole. :darkbeer: I lost my best piece of land here in Columbia County, so I'll be moving in with Tax lawyer for the month of November. :mg::D

·
Registered
651 Posts
80 acres is a great score. My biggest private parcel that I hunt is only 8 acres. I am working hard on the neighboring land which has got to be about 100 acres. Also the neighbors across the road from us have an unhunted 40 I would really like to be in. congrats, I hope my luck turns out as good as your good fortune.

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all!

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
CONGRATS on the score Dan! It's a sad fact that "hunting" for land is a lot harder than hunting for deer these days! I hope to see some pix of a mature NY buck that you put down this season, good luck!

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I finally got time to walk the property a bit today..it was pretty windy and these big ass green nuts things were falling like rain, so I was bobbing and weaving about, but it was fun!

Access is a breeze...thw wood roads make getting around very easy, which is nice if I have to drag a Booner out, LOL.

Found a fresh rub line, one tree was big....biggest I have ever seen rubbed...

Saw 2 small bucks....

There definitly is people accessing it with 4 wheelers, but it isnt as torn up as I thought....

Found NO stands on the property, which is a relief..

Found a few good stand sites, including a HONEY of a tree for the climber by that rub line..

I AM PUMPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have to agree I hunt in columbia county and 80 to 100 acers of land is awsome hopefully you get one good luck to ya this season

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
Congrats brother, I hope is works out GREAT for you.
Let me know how you do. :darkbeer:

·
Waiting on Season
14,910 Posts
congrats ny911 lets see some deer that come off the place

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats brother, I hope is works out GREAT for you.
Let me know how you do. :darkbeer:
LOL.....with over 10k in posts - I'll be letting EVERYONE know how I do!:embara:

Hopefully have some video to show to boot

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Few pics from a recent scouting trip;

Entrance route...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts