Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After flapping my lips about how I'd never seen a carbon arrow break and stick into someone's hand...it happened. Not to me, but to a friend I encouraged to start shooting a bow.

The arrow was a brand new, never shot, Easton ST Epic out of a Diamond Rapture. He'd been shooting 3 of his arrows for practice and flexing them as warned by me and other shooters. He decided to shoot one of the remaining 3 in his case and didn't flex it because it had never been shot. The arrow broke in 3 pieces..the first 15" going just above his target butt into a backstop piece of plywood, the second 4" fell to the ground in front of the bow, the third piece pierced his hand just like the pics we have seen. He's being a good sport about it and not really complaining. He called Easton and they are really concerned, they are supposed to call him back today. He realizes aluminum could do the same thing, but says that the pieces would be easier to get out of his hand..LOL..

Flex-em boys and girls...every single one of them.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
OOOO

ouch, no pictures needed.

What was his bow spec? Do you think it was a manufacturing defect? or was this a cutting problem? ie. injured shaft during assembly?

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,629 Posts
Oh man OUCH no kidding well gotta go and flex my new arrows.

·
Registered
455 Posts
carbon arrow

Doug is this the gentleman that we shot with in Anchorage this summer?
I guess the big question is how bad is the injury. Will he be able to do leagues this winter? Looking foreward to shooting with him again.
Charlie

·
Bowhemian
8,310 Posts
AKDoug said:
[. . .] He realizes aluminum could do the same thing [. . .]
Where did he get this idea?

I've never heard of an aluminum arrow just breaking up and stabbing into a shooter's hand. And if it ever did happen it certainly doesn't come close to the frequency of times it happens with carbons.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
MikeK said:
Where did he get this idea?

I've never heard of an aluminum arrow just breaking up and stabbing into a shooter's hand. And if it ever did happen it certainly doesn't come close to the frequency of times it happens with carbons.

MikeK it happens with aluminum too.

10 or even 5 years ago when aluminums were the norm, and carbons a new thing people didn't have access to the internet the way they do now.

So one carbon arrow blows up now 10000 people see it.

One aluminum blows up 10 years ago and 15 people see it 100 maybe hear about it at the local archery store, or through some friends.

Now carbon is a standard, people see it more.

The first pictures of arrows through hands were ALL aluminums.

In fact i've never seen a picture of a carbon through a hand, certainly heard about it.

The only thing that is worse about the carbons is that you have fibers, instead of a tube.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Man that is terrible stuff. I hope it heals correctly. carbon fiber stuck under that skin gets nasty.
About the aluminum arrow deal. Last year I bought a half dozen XX78 2413 arrows off the selve at a local retailer just basically wanted to see if they flew better than the 2512's I was messing with.
Brand new out of the box two broke right out of the box on the first shot. Snapped in flight.
Missing the target completely. One hit the shed to he right of the butt.
I shot a total of 4 shots and surrendered. Inspected the remaining four could not find any issues. They got retired any way. Been shooting the 2512's since. This was the only time I had had arrow failure in my life.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
aluminum?

sure it does

overbowed and underspined will do it every time regardless of the material used to make an arrow

*Pictures removed - bowsmith*

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It happened here today too.

posted 10-19-2006 10:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copied from ALDEER
I came home today and wanted to get a few shots in before my daughter's soccer game. Well, I was rushing because I was late and all I can figure is I loaded my arrow BESIDE my rest and this was the result...

No stitches, just an arrow sized hole about a 1/2 inch deep from where the arrow broke. The doc fished out several carbon pieces (this hurt like hell). I thought my bow season was gonna be cut short but the doc said that I should be good to go as long as I kept it clean and dressed properly and could tolerate some pain. The funny thing was there was a kid in the ER for exactly the same reason. What are the odds?

Lesson learned: don't rush.....it leads to carelessnes.

--------------------

**Pictures Removed - bowsmith**

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
I have never heard of flexing your arrows before shooting them. I dont want to hijack this thread but is that standard practice?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
VaBowHntr7 said:
This is my only fear in archery. I cant amagine all of the tiny fiberglass splinters.
JFYI,
these are fiberglass shafts, they are carbon fiber shafts which if left in the body can cause serious infections.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If you are not doing it...

jimposten said:
I have never heard of flexing your arrows before shooting them. I dont want to hijack this thread but is that standard practice?
you better start.

On the way back from the target just bend them back and forth. If you hear any cracking sounds...inspect closer.
Tom

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.