Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
have bow-will travel
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NY deer season has come and gone. I had a great time and better than 2/3's of my sits produced a sighting. My brothers (2) and I ended up harvesting 7 deer off of our 100 acres, I myself got 4 of those. Well as the door shuts on this season plans are already underway for next, we will be moving several stands in the next few weeks, frost seeding some clover into the rye plot, major re-hab is in order for my "big" clover plot. Some new areas will be prepped for other plots. The Z28 I used for my archery harvests has been sold, the new owner is liking it very much. Gotta get my 2010 bows going soon. Strange how just 8 weeks of deer season turns into a lifetime of commitment.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
strange how just 8 weeks of deer season turns into a lifetime of commitment.

i couldnt have said it better myself!!! Congrats on a successful season!!! And good luck with the upcoming work!!

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,204 Posts
Congratulations on a great season! Gear up for next season, its only 10 months or so away! :D

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Next year is close.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
wow..your seasons over already? I still have till the end of the month to bow and ML hunt...If I want to go for the winter bow, it goes untill almost feb.

·
Registered
200 Posts
what is frost seeding?

·
have bow-will travel
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is frost seeding?
You spead the seed in early spring, the freeze/thaw cycles will draw the seed in giving excellent soil to seed contact. It works great on fields prepped and planted in grains the year before. You frost seed in the clover, the grains provide some cover to take the pressure off the seedling clover, once the grains get 4"-6" tall you spray the field with "ARROW" grass killer, now you have a clover plot. For anyone interested in more of this food plot stuff go over to the QDMA website, they have more info on that forum than you can imagine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
thanks for explaining,our season ended here sat. as well.we shot a couple of real good bucks this year and saw one that was bigger then the two we killed.it's still a sad day when the sun sets on the last day of the season.the land i leased this year shows alot of promise,i had several young bucks come by and hopefully some of them made it thru the season.i know i did my part.i will continue to go there and check cameras and early spring will be spent putting in food plots.I don't have much knowledge about it that was why i was wondering what you were talking about.i have a large field that they mowed for hay and was wondering if it needed to be plowed or if i could do what you were talking about.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Aint over yet. One more week of bow/ML. I will be in a tree with my monster. I have a spot that is bow only and borders a preserve. Deer arent spooked there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts