Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
used the wind to get close up on this doe feeding in the corn. She would make some good eats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
fasst said:
Y'all have corn feilds on your public land?
Nice for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
And in some spots in Jersey there are cornfields along the edges of some public land!!!!!!!!! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts
is that the cornfield

is that the cornfield off 18 in carlos avery in minnesota??
Randy
i have spent many nights on the back corner
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
fasst said:
Y'all have corn feilds on your public land?
That's what I was thinking!!! :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
fasst said:
Y'all have corn feilds on your public land?
Yes, we also have soybean and natural grass food plots. The local farmers bid on planting in the public lands and have a 60-40 rule which means they can take 60% of the crops out when ready for harvest and when the winter is over they can come back and get the other 40%. All these areas get hunted hard during the gun season, but there are not many bow hunters here. So with some scouting and prep work a bow hunter can tag a few does and once in awhile a nice buck. However, the age class on bucks is 2-3 yrs old, Minnesota alows party hunting which really kills age class on bucks. This is an average buck around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fowlhunter8 said:
is that the cornfield off 18 in carlos avery in minnesota??
Randy
i have spent many nights on the back corner
Nope, I am farther down south then that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,784 Posts
DeerDude said:
Nice for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
And in some spots in Jersey there are cornfields along the edges of some public land!!!!!!!!! :cool:

In many places, there are corn and bean fields in the middle of the WMA's. Assunpink WMA has some of the best looking crop fields I've seen anywhere. Last year, the beans were waist high and as lush as it gets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That young fellow survied.

However, this one did not. He is on my wall, but these guys come far and few between.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,018 Posts
fasst said:
Y'all have corn feilds on your public land?
HECK YEA!

In Maryland the State leases a great deal of public land to farmers, who have the right to plant it, but no other property rights to it. It's public hunting land. The only problem is that these areas attract a large number of suburban hunters, so you can go spend a few days scouting, and on opening day find some other hunter in an area you had picked out., so you'd better have some near by back up areas to go to. I try to avoid these areas as attractive as they are just for that reason. I hunt some private, and public land, but I have private land access to the public land I hunt. It would be a 5+ mile hike to use publis access to get to the public land I hunt, and nobody does that, so it might as well be private.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
SilentHntr. said:
However, this one did not. He is on my wall, but these guys come far and few between.
WoW that is a dandy!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :shade:
 

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
Joined
·
2,448 Posts
I primarily hunt public land too. The land I hunt is not easy to hunt but there are some big ones around, the first buck I ever shot was on public land, scored mid 140s. I shot that buck with a gun though.

I agree with SilentHntr, the party hunting in this state blows chunks. Also, the fact that gun seasons in my area run from Nov 5 - Dec 17 does not exactly help matters. From the last weekend in October to Dec 17 there is exactly 1 weekend where I don't have to wear blaze orange clothing :angry:.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,136 Posts
We were out scouting some public lands in MN and saw alot of does and fawns. And for the last 3 trips to the land we have seen the same, very nice, 8 pointer still lurking on the same land.

Hopefully this papa will hang around for Sept 17th so I can have a opportunity to fling an arrow in him. The rack is both wide and tall. Looks like maybe a 4yr or even better. Still had all the velvet and looking awesome!!!!!

We will be looking again for him this weekend!!!!!!!!!

IS IT SEPT 17th YET!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top