Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was all excited for my first elk trip in 10 yrs. Planned for sometime now, had the fun of researching all the gear and buying lots of cool toys to use, and loaded up and headed out for a scouting trip in late July and found elk, and tons of signs for more, thought we nailed it. Returned for my 7 day hunt and made our way into camp, and when leaving town was told by a local that the bear situation was dire, no acorns or foilage and starvation was at a high and stated they were going to lose a large % of the bear population, and that some have been killed which evidently has created a stir. Either way up the trail we headed and within .5 mi of the trailhead a small cinnamon bear drops down out of nowhere 40 ft behind us. This bear obviously didn't have any interest in us and really didn't even give us the time of day, however our senses were up to say the least. Into camp and set up and hung all food and toiletries in dry bags and suspended them from a tree 60 yds from our camp, maybe 18 ft up and about 8 ft out from the base. 3rd night 2am we were woke to a scrambling and found we had been visited by another bear, watched him for hours sit over his found meal and to no avail he wouldn't leave. Now I have not had any encounters with bears like this, so we chose to sit back and watch the show and hope for the best vs trying to push him out. After about 2hrs he headed down to about 40 yds down and into the stream area. We eventually went back to sleep but without knowing where he was did not go check our bags. About 2hrs later we were woke up again and looked outside and he, or another bear, was back and scampering up our food tree shredded our bags, again pots pans walking towards him just a bit, yelling, whisteling, etc and nothing. Once he was gone for about 30 mins we went and checked our situation, as it was daylight, and everything was gone, with the exception of some toiletries coffee 2 cliff bars, and one Mtn House breakfast meal. While we had a couple of meals in the truck, we would need 3 meals a day and all new toietries and to say the least we were spent, not too mention we had lost all signs of elk in the area and had not relocated them yet. We could've packed out and gone into town, and then packed back in, maybe took about a day, and then restarted but were afraid the bears would keep coming in and chose to throw in the towel and lick our wounds, we failed. Not too mention on the way out with a bear bell ringing and chatting up a storm we busted a mtn lion about 20 ft in front of us. The area is beautiful, and very tough, I must admit I may have bit off more than I could chew, I went to Colorado and got ran out, I think I am going bear hunting next year. Good luck to the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
Well at least you had a trip to remember. Bears can be an issue and unless you are comfortable around them...which most aren't...it can put a damper on your adventure.

Get out there and try again.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Wow, that is pretty exciting! Sorry it didn't go as planned. What unit were you in? I have bear tag and rarely see them!

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that is pretty exciting! Sorry it didn't go as planned. What unit were you in? I have bear tag and rarely see them!
unit 82, below nipple mtn around lime & black canyon. ya know, we didn't even cook food, only boiled water and mixed, guessing this is what you would call a "camp bear".

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I don't hunt bears, but it sure wouldn't have to hunt too hard to fill a tag this year. This morning, I was walking back to my SUV from elk hunting and I noticed something black up on the luggage rack. A black bear was up there trying to get in the sunroof. I had brought a cooler with me that a friend dropped of a couple days ago - contained a couple of nice trout on ice - was going to return it on the way home. Bear could apparently still smell the fish even though I washed it out. Didn't do too much damage, other than some scratches and scrapes. Not a very large bear. Unit 85 south of LaVeta.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Wow, I'm hunting 82 next year, guess I better get ready for bears!

·
Not a prisoner of past.
3,678 Posts
I was in "south central Colorado" for 9 days and had 19 bear sightings this year.

I know exactly what your talking about. Sorry to hear about your situation, funny thing is you will get a tag next year and it will be a wet year and you won't find as many bears......that's hunting.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Its good to always use general precautions in bear country, even black bear country. Use a bear vault/keg to store food, persanal toiletries if possible, or at least use an aloksak (scent proof bag/liner) inside your compression sack that you keep your food cache-in. Never store your food with you inside of your shelter overnight, hang it 10 ft. high and at least 100ft away if you can. Don't cook/prepare food inside your tent's vestibule or in the clothes you will be sleeping in. Keep a clean camp and don't leave food in your pack or shelter (or car) unattended. We should all raise our level of awareness this fall in the backcountry as the bears are hungry, and as such will tend to get a more agressive or at least less skiddish of humans, expecially if they think you have food.

Be safe guys, pack bear mace or a sidearm and follow general bear country precautions.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I have never seen a bear hunting CO in about 10 years of hunting. This year I have seen three.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
You didn't fail...nature changed the game on youm nothin you can do about it but learn from it and try again.

Thanks for sharing your story.

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Perhaps a judo point in the arss will get the pest moving along ;)

·
74,535 Posts
Backpacked five miles up to Yosemite one time and sat my back pack down with church group. I no longer got around the corner and bear snatched my packed and drug it away with all my food. Happened so fast.

Sucked but there was others coming up the next day that brought extra food for me.

Where do bears eat, any where they want! LOL
DB

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
unit 82, below nipple mtn around lime & black canyon. ya know, we didn't even cook food, only boiled water and mixed, guessing this is what you would call a "camp bear".
Wow, I am hunting in 82 as well; but I haven't seen any bear there...some decent sign, but no bears. I got a tag and am eager to fill it if I can!

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what elevation were you at?
i believe the small one on the trail we saw coming in was around 10k and the camp we were at was around 11200k.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts