Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what you think about west central Minnesota (Heart of the Lakes country) for deer bowhunting? Is it a good general area? How is the deer density there? What would be the best time to be there for bowhunting (best week)?
I am asking about this because I might have an opportunity to hunt there in the future, but I don't know anything about this region.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It is a great area, I currently hunt close to this area, but more in the central part of the state. The deer densities are extremely good, with most areas offering multiple tags for anterless deer to keep the population in check. Best of luck, I think you will see tons of deer.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I live and hunt in West Central MN.

There tons of deer in this area and you can find big bucks.

Becker and Ottertail Counties have registered many Boone & Crockett Whitetails over the years.

If I were you I would hunt the week of Oct 28 - Nov 3. The bucks should be fairly active during that time. Rifle hunting starts on Nov 4.

Here are a couple whitetails that I have taken in Becker County with bow:

·
Registered
110 Posts
i live down in southeast south dakota kind of over in that country and our rut is usually at the peak on the 5-15 of november

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info guys.
What kind of habitat is it there? Mostly wooded, mostrly farmland or a mix?
What are the main crops there?
I know it may very from one year to the other, but on average what kind of weather can one expect there in late October/early November? Can it be real cold already?
Thanks again

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
There is tons of public land and everything from feilds to trees. The deer denisty is vary high and we are seeing lots of deer on deer drives.
matt

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matt, thank you for the info.
By the way, Cooter144 congrats for these 2 very nice bucks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts