Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are finding many here in schools that are having flu like reactions to west nile. They do OK after three days but this is very serious concern. Many birds have been detected here in my home town. Hunting season coming I know I have it on my mind and think regardless of smell, Im going to use some protection.

·
Registered
749 Posts
DB, try No Stinkin Bugs. Works great will little to no odor. You can get it from Cabelas

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Buy 100% DEET, then mix it with liquid cover scent (like Pete Rickards) half and half. That is what I use bear hunting in Maine and it works great.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
No stinking bugs

Used it for first time on last bear hunt. If the bear couldnt smell it, I will guarantee you a deer wont. Works great. BTW....Deet has been linked to skin cancer, I think the no stinkin bugs is only 25% deet, but not for sure.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I bought some of the No Stinkin Bugs and tried it recently. I found it to have a very pungent odor. Its the fall blend mix. Do you guys not smell it at all?

·
Registered
745 Posts
DB,

Try a thermal(sp) cell. They are suppose to be oderless, and they work very well. They burn botaine which not only repells but also kills them. I have used it for the first time this year with great success. Have had both deer and hogs down wind from me while having it going. I would still try to play the wind though.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Don't worry too much about WNV. I had it. It is basically another type of flu. I got it because I was one of the wildlife biologists doing the autposies on the dead birds to determine cause of death. Our lab was doing 100+ birds a day, then testing for the virus. I just laughed at the WNV, after all we work with Rabies and Anthrax!

As long as you are not very young, very old, or have a compromised immune system, you will fight it off just like a bad cold. Take precautions, but don't spend too much time worrying about it. Its just not that big a deal.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here in Nebraska there has been about 1000 cases this year. Unless you are old and/or have a weak immune system, it is no big deal. I still don't like to be bitten by mosquitos, though. Go to cedarcide.com or pestproducts.com and get some cedarcide. It is made of cedar oil and juniper oil and bugs hate it. It is 100% natural and makes you smell like a juniper tree which also helps. It is about $6.50 per quart with about the same in shipping. We also have some natural stuff made here locally called Sandhills Safari that has proven effective and deer don't spook with it. I would rather get bitten than use lots of deet. That stuff can't be good for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here in Louisiana we have mosquitos so big they can carry you off. Last weekend I used a bug tamer and No Stinkin Bugs. Didn't get bit, but didn't see a thing while hunting.

Still can't get used to that hum in my ear, though:p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had a lady friend who got West Nile. Not only sick but broke out in rashes too. Skeeters are bad where I hunt, so are noseeums and hornets. i tried no stinkin bugs on a recommendation from this site. After application I had to put more on about 1 hour in my stand. The fine mist sprayed into the air instantly alerted a whitetail nearby. I've never heard such as blowing from a deer. it sounded like it was stinging its nasal cavities and it was trying to relieve itself. from now on I will use a non-aerasol and apply it by hand. they all work if they have deet. some have more some less. I've been known to wear 3 nets at a time here and the noseeums still find a way in. I've been looking for a bees keeper type net like a I saw on TV. Lots of ventilation to keep cool cause its still 95 here in Montana in September (well not this year). where can I get one?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Deet is bad for your health, that is why the package says "Do no apply directly to skin". It is stated that it must be applyed to your clothes and outer layers.

Deet only needs to be in about 30% concentration in what every fluid it is contained. Any percentage over that is moot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts