Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I support BBQ!
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm currently using a 6'' Stealth for hunting out West. No complaints, it does a great job of dampening vibrations, etc.
I was just curious, since there have been a lot of threads on B-Stinger recommendations lately, are there any hardcore western hunters using them?
They seem big, bulky, and heavy for western hunts in steep nasty terrain.
It seems to me I would rather be packing around a 6" fuse, stealth, or posten stab rather than the B-stinger style stabs.
So, what are you Western guys using?

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
I'm not "hardcore" by any means but I use a Posten Slim Jimmz 10"

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,382 Posts
Well, I'm using a B-Stinger and I do some hunting out west but I haven't hunted out west since I switched over to a B-Stinger.

That said, I can guarantee you I will the next time I go out there. I don't find that they get in the way much and the weight is what you want it to be - it may feel heavier because of the weight distribution.

Point is....you will shoot much better with it. So while it may be slightly less convenient to carry I think that's a small trade off when it comes to making a shot (many of which tend to be on the longer side out west) and knowing you've got a "real" stabilizer that will actually do what it's supposed to do.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
im not "hardcore" but plan on getting a bstinger soon im planning on useing my primos sling when hikeing the steep stuff then while stocking of course take it off.but atleast this would make the bulk of carrying the extra wait a little easier.if a sling is not your cup ah tee i would think like anything you would get use to the added wait bulk ect pretty quik.and for getting caught up in the brush most bows are 30"+ ata so i think if you can make it thru the brush with a bow the bstinger would not make a big diff.imo

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I didnt have any issues using the b stinger on my hunts this year. I used the 8.5 11oz combo on all spot and stalk hunts and really couldnt complain. Doesnt do much for vibration, but stabilizes well. I didnt have any issues with it being to big or heavy either..

·
<---- That's 57Loader
2,296 Posts
I don't hunt in really hard hiking areas but I do hike miles on a hunt and do not hunt from a treestand. It does make the bow quite a bit heavier than most other stabs. But I shoot so good with it that I just put up with it. Really it's not that bad.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
I started using the 12"/14oz earlier this year and decided to just keep it on my hunting bow. It does get hung up on stuff when my sling is over my shoulder, but I just deal with it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have bstingers on all my bows.they are awesome! My hunting bows are much heavier than most though. I would rather have the extra weight and the longer stab. than to have gear that I don't feel is as accurate as it could be. we owe it to the animals to be as accurate as we can be and bstinger gives us more accuracy!

·
Me encanta cazar
772 Posts
I don't have a b-stinger, i have a modified simms that I put a disc on the end of, essentially the same concept and demensions and it may be a little heavier. I used it on a hike in hike out diy elk hunt this year in some pretty nasty terrain and it didn't bother me at all, it actually helped my shooting so much that I will never go back to a normal stabalizer. I think if you stay under 12" in length its hardly noticable when hiking.

·
I support BBQ!
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Japple, I'll have to check out your set-up next time I'm in La Grande. I go there once in a while since it's only 1.5 hrs away!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I use the Sims Modular stabs (with 3 modules) on two of my bows and the Sims S-coil on the other.

Use whatever helps you shoot well. I don't worry about bulkiness or weight when I'm spot and stalk hunting. It mostly makes a difference when you're treestand hunting - which rarely happens out West.

Ray

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
freediver,
not actually in LG anymore I moved to heppner. I will have a setup for you to check out come january. If you haven't shot a bstinger head to head against another stab. you will be surprised. what I noticed was that the stinger had more vib. but it just didn't move away from the target like the other. just awesome.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I live and hunt exclusivley out west. I use a 12 inch b stinger. Never gets in the way for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts