·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-140 Minimum
-Land has not been leased in 10 years
-House on lease
-Campers welcome (water and power)
-Approx. 50% woods, 50% fields (property is laid out beautifully), many fields, power lines, thick woods/ thin woods, fence rows
-Food plots (we are anticipating 25ish acres of plots)
-Land is 2.8 miles from north to south and 1.9 miles from east to west (at the longest and widest spots)
-Almost 1 mile of power lines through middle of woods
-Crittenden is one of the top rated counties in KY for deer hunting

We have approx. 2000 contiguous acres just west of Marion, KY. Crittenden county has a reputation for high quality Whitetail Deer genetics. This land is a few miles from the Ohio river.

I have been looking for a lease specifically around Marion for a while. This area is one of those mid-west pockets that has produced world class white tails (and leases are very hard to come by). I have been trying to lease a 700 acre tract a few miles from this land that has produced 150 to 190 inch deer every year (I thought I was going to get it this year, but it is looking like it is not going to happen). The genetics are here. This area is the land of monsters, and there are a looot of deer on this property and in the area. I expect this property to produce 150 to B&C bucks (this is the only reason I am interested). This is a tract that can be managed for long term success!!!

The land is approx. 50/50 woods with many different fields. It is laid out beautifully. It will be bow hunting only, 15 or 16 members, house included, I was told the land owner is planting 20 acres of food plots, and we will be adding to this (5 to 10 acres in specific spots, the land owner has offered his help to plant food plots so we might get more). There is 180 acre rock quarry in front/ middle of the property (very thick CRP like growth around the edge) that will act as a sanctuary. There are thick woods, open woods, power lines, etc.

The land has not been leased in 10 years, and has had light hunting pressure. The land owners grandson is going to college, and he is now leasing the land again. The land is a cattle farm with corn and soybeans around the property (there are not many cattle on the property and during deer season should be kept towards the front of the property being fed by hay bails). All of the woods are fenced off.

The price is $2000 per bow (including the house). This is the same as a $1700 club and you have to provide lodging. We also have power and water for campers. We are looking for hunters that are willing to let 3 yr old 130 inch bucks walk. I think we are going to put a 140 minimum (I would like 150 minimum as I believe this land will produce 150 inch 4 yr old bucks), we will need to get a consensus from the members.

Since this land has had little pressure, the first two years should be off the charts. There is sign on the property that some large mature bucks are roaming around (thigh sized rubs).

I have been looking for a tract like this for a long time. I really think this is a farm you can hang your hat on and will want to stay for a while.

Also, several of the members will be hunting in other parts of the mid-west during the year (I lease 2800 acres in IL and am hunting KS next year, another guy owns a farm in Iowa and hunts in north IL, the president of the club hunts in Missouri and has another spot in KY). I suspect half the members will fit in this category.

If interested, let me know.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We will be showing the property over the next two weekends. Let me know if you want to join us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am very interested in the lease. Do you have any aerial photos of the property. Also are you looking for members for the IL lease.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Send me your email address (PM is best), and at this time, all my spots are filled for IL.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I think I have replied to all PM's. If for some reason I have not responded, please let me know.

Thanks!!!

·
Keith Karr
1,800 Posts
I spent the last hour of daylight Friday and all day yesterday on the farm with Teamkudzu (Thorsten), 167Whitetail (Ken) and Bryan Warren and drove home last night.

What a beautiful place. We probably saw 50 deer total and several turkey too! Lot's of rubs and scrapes! Deer tracks everywhere even in the pastures. Several times we saw deer just walk across the pasture with us standing there in plain sight...definitely didn't act the least bit pressured.

The hardwoods are beautiful and most are not wide open...lots of understory (briars and honeysuckle).

There's crop ground across the road on the west and north side.

Also a couple of ponds to fish in too.

I'll be hunting this fall in Kentucky!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree with Keith. A jam up place with loads of potential. Beautiful piece of property. Saw some turkeys as well.
I will be in Western Ky this fall!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. This track is a jewel.

Everyone we spoke with in town that knows of the property spoke highly of the land and highly of the quality of the bucks that have been taken in the area.

I spoke with the local biologist for about an hour last Thursday. He knows this 2000 acres well and also spoke highly of the property. He said an average 3 year old buck for Crittenden is around 140 +/- inches. He explained he goes to the taxidermist and ages the bucks brought in (he did not mention how he ages them). He also told me there is a high number of out of state hunters in Crittenden and the majority of the monsters end up driving out of the state in the back of a pick up and are never reported (a secret that is kept very quiet and a secret that I will never mention again once our club is full).

The most exciting information he shared with me is there are a few adjoining properties that are practicing QDM (one large tract and one small tract). According to the biologist, the total acreage of the properties that will be practicing QDM (including ours) will be approx 4500 contiguous acres. The possibilities are mind blowing.

So far we have a great group of guys. We are approx 2/3 full. We are looking for guys that
A) get along with others in the club,
B) harvest mature bucks (4 years old +).

If you are not willing or able to do this, please refrain.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi John - This is correct, Thorston was going to have a total of 15 originally. The land owner acquired 300 additional acres so the membership increased as well.

Guys - unless I am counting wrong, I believe we have one spot available. After this spot is filled, we will start a waiting list just in case someone backs out as we have not collected funds from everyone.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just received a text from one of our guys asking me to clarify this. We are going to have 17 total members. Please keep in mind that at least half of the guys hunt in other mid west states as well. I will be hunting in IL KS and I have a few other tracts in KY to hunt, at least half of the guys are in similar situations.

The only way we will increase the membership is if we increase the acreage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.