Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never done a Western Union money order before and was looking for info from others that have about how safe and reliable it is ???

Sending money from Australia to America !

Thanks

Woody

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I'd skip the money order and just wire the money via western union. I had a woman in malaysia (I think) pay me for a sight this way once. She gave Western Union the money. They gave her a control number, which she gave to me. I went to a local Western Union location and gave them my ID and the control number. Got my money instantly and was therefore able to ship her item immediately.

I just think that dealing directly with the western union people at both ends of the transaction seems a little safer.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd skip the money order and just wire the money via western union. I had a woman in malaysia (I think) pay me for a sight this way once. She gave Western Union the money. They gave her a control number, which she gave to me. I went to a local Western Union location and gave them my ID and the control number. Got my money instantly and was therefore able to ship her item immediately.

I just think that dealing directly with the western union people at both ends of the transaction seems a little safer.
I think that's how it might work here ???

I have to do it through the post office, their the agent for Western Union here, so what do i need to have/do to wire the money direct ???

Thanks

Woody

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
So, woody, what did you buy, do tell :)

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, woody, what did you buy, do tell :)
I haven't bought it yet were still working out the details, but it's a sureloc 550 sight for my Clout bow, now i just have to get the blue arrows, and a blue scope, and the blue knob kit for the sureloc ! :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

Woody

·
Registered
164 Posts
Western Union is often used as an online scam. I would be wary if I were the buyer about sending money, especially between countries. Be aware. Do a search on Google. Insist on PayPal!!!

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Western Union is often used as an online scam. I would be wary if I were the buyer about sending money, especially between countries. Be aware. Do a search on Google. Insist on PayPal!!!
I've looked at the sellers feedback and he has around 120 sales all with positive feedback and no negative feedback !

He refuses to use paypal because of trouble he's had on there before, so it's Western Union or nothing by the look of it, that's why i'm asking about using WU ! :darkbeer:

P.S. search for what on Google ???

Woody

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have used western union countless times and never had a problem.
its quick simple and secure.
fill in the form. give control number to other person your getting stuff from.
at there end they give ID and conrol number to there western rep. they get there money.. job done.
as for being used by scamers online well that can happen no matter what system you use. paypal etc.
i like it as i dont have to use my credit card, and i can only spend what i have in my pocket so to speak..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wstern Union Money Order

Woody,go to the Post Office, you will need CASH, they will work out the exchange rate for the day, they will charge you $8.00 for the transaction,they will get you to sign the Western Union Money Order, you will get to keep the carbon copy for a reference. Stick the Money Order in an overseas envelope, addressed to the seller. Now it takes between 7 and 10 days to reach the seller, he takes the Money Order to his Post Office and cashes it, now with that money he posts your parcel, about the same turn around time.
Now remember he has your money, actually he has used your money to post your parcel, SO please do your homework, get a phone No, give him a call.
Woody, I've been doing this for years, and have never had a problem, AT guys are very honest people.
Now the only downside to this is the time it takes, at least 2 weeks, but hey Woody your not going anywhere are ya, PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER.
Terry.
PS. ANY question Woody PM me.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
I've looked at the sellers feedback and he has around 120 sales all with positive feedback and no negative feedback !

He refuses to use paypal because of trouble he's had on there before, so it's Western Union or nothing by the look of it, that's why i'm asking about using WU ! :darkbeer:

P.S. search for what on Google ???

Woody
i wouldn't worry about it much on here. western union is the only type of payment that i will take for deals outside the US because it's the easiest way for me to get the money. you just need the other parties name, address/closest W.U agent although it will cost you about 15.00 extra to send the transfer it's well worth it for al the hassles it takes out of the process.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
the only issue with wire transfers is that they are not guaranteed, so if the joe takes your money and doesnt send you the sight, you're up s-creek :darkbeer: which is why I prefer PayPal.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
If the guy has lots of good feedback, which it sounds like he does, just send him the money and trust that he's not going to stick you. I doubt you'll have any trouble.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
With the way the american dollar is in the tank you may be able to have a new sight for the price of a cheese burger in Austrailia.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the way the american dollar is in the tank you may be able to have a new sight for the price of a cheese burger in Austrailia.
You guys might think your dollar is bad, but it's still slightly better than ours ! :embara:

Woody

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh how i wish that were true !!!

I went down to the post office earlier today to send off the money, which in total for the sight + shipping + insurance was $271 US dollars, so they run that through the computer and tell me once converted that it equals $305 AUS dollars, and i think that's not to bad as i'm used to having to pay a little extra for things from the States, but then for the kicker, they tell me it's going to cost another $43 AUS dollars for the wire transfer fee ?????? :confused: :confused: :eek: :mad: :eek:

I didn't have enough money on me to cover it, and even if i did i wouldn't have paid it, has anyone else ever heard of Western Union charging that much ????

So then i asked if there were any cheaper options, and they said i could send it priority mail for about $8 AUS dollars and that will take about 5 days to get there, so it looks like i'm going back to the post office tomorrow and taking that option, anything i need to know before i do it ?????

Thanks

Woody

·
Registered
277 Posts
Money Order

.Good to see you took the time to read read my post Woody, that 20 minutes you owe me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.Good to see you took the time to read read my post Woody, that 20 minutes you owe me.:rolleyes:
I did read your post, i promise !!! :darkbeer:

But he wanted to do it with the instant wire transfer, so i tried to do it that way, Now if you had of said they are going to slug you another $43 dollars for the wire transfer fee, i probably would have went for the postal option straight off the bat !

I just can't believe they can sting you that much just to transfer some money around for you ??? :confused:

I guess i will have to listen a little better in the future ! :77: :wink: :darkbeer:

Woody

·
Registered
277 Posts
Money Order

No worries Woody, see you at the State of Origin 3D.:cheers:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No worries Woody, see you at the State of Origin 3D.:cheers:
Yeah, i'll see you there ! :darkbeer:

It should be a good laugh for everyone else to see how long it takes me to loose all my arrows !!! :embara: :wink: :darkbeer:

Woody

1 - 19 of 19 Posts