Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still only seen old ones around my area (Northern Wayne County). But I know there are bucks!

Thanks in advance!
Jim

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
JEofWV said:
Still only seen old ones around my area (Northern Wayne County). But I know there are bucks!

Thanks in advance!
Jim
It's not WV, but southern Ohio is pretty close and it might give you some idea on they're doing down there.

Scrapes, yes. Most of ones I've seen thus far are around food plots and tree lines. I haven't seen a whole lot of scrape activity deeper into the hardwoods yet. Rubs are popping up slowly in predictable areas where I hunt (in other words, where I normally see rubs). Small sapplings has been the bulk of what I've seen -- I haven't noticed any of the mid-abdomen high rubs yet where half the tree with an 18" diameter has been rubbed.

Trail cams are picking up bachelor groups still as of Sept 21.

I've seen a lot of green field activity starting as early as 2:30-3:00 and lasting throughout the evening in some cases, while grain fields are still somewhat avoided.

·
Registered
945 Posts
scrapes

fOUND 2 SCRAPES THIS PAST WEEKEND AROUND THE MINERAL HOLES IN NORTHERN MO.:wink:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Epinepherine, I've still been seeing the bachelor groups here too. There is a matching pair of 8 pointers I see almost every night coming home from work. There is a big 10 or 12 that hangs around with them about half the time.

I found about 6-8 rubs from last year, have to believe that they are from different bucks although in the same area. Most are small saplings 2-3 inch diameter but a couple are trees about 10-12 inch diameter and rubbed as high as mid-chest to me (I'm 5' 10").

spookit, looks like I'm surrounded!:wink: We are supposed to have some drops in temps this week, so maybe that will bring them around, I hope!

Good luck and hunt safe!
Jim

·
Registered
945 Posts
Cold Snap

WE ARE GONNA HAVE SOME COLD HERE AND IT COULD CAUSE A REAL EARLY SNAP ONTO THE RUT.SEEN 2 BUCKS PAST WEEKEND AND THEY WERE BOTH CRUZIN SOLO BUTHTEY PAST THROUGH THE SAME TREE ROW I WAS ON BUT ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF IT AND 45 MINUTES APART.FOUND 3RUBS AND THEY WERE TREES ABOUT 6 INCH DIAMETER.:eek:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spookit said:
WE ARE GONNA HAVE SOME COLD HERE AND IT COULD CAUSE A REAL EARLY SNAP ONTO THE RUT.SEEN 2 BUCKS PAST WEEKEND AND THEY WERE BOTH CRUZIN SOLO BUTHTEY PAST THROUGH THE SAME TREE ROW I WAS ON BUT ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF IT AND 45 MINUTES APART.FOUND 3RUBS AND THEY WERE TREES ABOUT 6 INCH DIAMETER.:eek:

Our season doesn't open here until October 14 but I've been trying to pattern a few. I'll be giving them a run for their money this year. Saved up some vacation time and got 10/14 thru 10/22 off for start of bow season, 11/18 thru 11/26 for rifle season and 12/11 thru 12/16 for muzzleloader season!

Half filled 2 freezers with veggies I grew this summer, rest of the space reserved for meat:hungry: Amazing how small my grocery bill is!!:eek: :wink:

Jim

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yes from Cabell County...

I have seen rubs, and a few agression scraping. Bucks here are still their bachelor groups.

Seeing the same thing across the river in Ohio....lots of rubing going on over there.

J

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I just went in the woods last weekend and I did not see any rubs. Milton area. I am going out to scout this evening. I hope to see some sign. I have co-workers that hunt in Wayne County. Fort Gay and Dunlow. They have been in the woods also and have not seen any rubs. Good Hunting.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Jim, I saw a rub just last week. The only time I've been in the woods in WV. I live in Northern Wayne Co. I saw rubs and scrapes in Ohio the first of Sept.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts