Registered
19,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Game on: Professional hunters begin national tourney today
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
By MIKE SPENCER
TIMES WRITER
GLADWIN - The hunt is on.

Four of the nation's most competitive hunters were given the first shot today in the World Hunting Association Tour being launched at Gladwin's Lost Arrow Resort on the Water.

''I think for the most part that people are pumped to see what it is,'' said Dave Farbman, chief executive officer and founder of the Detroit-based WHA. ''I know I've been looking forward to it.

''Enough talking about the hype. It's time to look at the product now.''

Eight hunters from eight different states will compete in the first tournament, which concludes Oct. 2 with the top two hunters going head-to-head for the $100,000 top prize. A second tournament at the 1,000-acre Lost Arrow preserve will be held Nov.16-Dec. 1. Another hunt is set for December in Texas and in another in January in Alabama. The tour is offering a $500,000 purse in the first year, a little more than $100,000 per tournament.

''For far too long, hunters have looked forward to the day when we would eventually get our own professional sports league,'' said Virginia hunter Brett Hankins, 39, of Mannassas Park. ''Well, that time has arrived and we are extremely excited.''

Hankins will join seven other hunters including Michigan's Michael Kernen, 31, of Walled Lake. The other hunters are: Hack Albertson, 43, Scottsburg, Ind.; Joey Menegatti, 29, Walsenburg, Colo., Matt Trissel, 26, Austin, Texas; Karl Zainitzer Jr., 37, Lambertville, N.J.; Matt Hussion, 31, Casper, Wyo.; and Hank Anderson, 38, Calhoun, La.

The WHA announced plans in June to launch the tour, which initially had hunters darting the deer. After more than a month of controversy over the catch-and-release tournament, officials changed the format to shoot to kill - the traditional way of harvesting deer.

''I think you will always have your antis that won't like it and you're going to have your traditional, traditional, traditional guys, that carved broadheads out of stone that are with you all the way,'' said Farbman, a Detroit area Realtor and developer.

''I liked the original idea ... darting,'' said Avery Sterling, Lost Resort owner since 1980. ''I just think that's game management.

''But the trouble is that America is not ready for it.''

The resort fielded a lot of calls and several letters when the tour planned to dart the animals. Since the tour changed formats there have been few inquiries.

Due to the initial outcries, however, Farbman moved up the dates of the first hunt which was originally scheduled to start Oct. 5.

Under the tournament format, hunters will have an opportunity to shoot six deer, four does, one management buck and one trophy buck with the weapon of their choice. Only bow and arrow may be used in the first two days of shooting and in the finals. Hunters also will receive bonus points for luring tagged or collared bucks into ''the zone.''

Each hunter will be accompanied by his own cameraman in another treestand nearby, who must document all the sightings and shootings.

''I'll be really surprised if all the hunters tag out,'' Farbman said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bctimes/index.ssf?/base/news-8/1158765303133710.xml&coll=4

·
Registered
552 Posts
''For far too long, hunters have looked forward to the day when we would eventually get our own professional sports league,''
:confused:
that line cracks me up every time I read it. So is anyone other than Farbman and the hunters involved interested in this?

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bionicrooster said:
:confused:
that line cracks me up every time I read it. So is anyone other than Farbman and the hunters involved interested in this?
Exactly! I wish he would stop speaking for me as he is far from what I believe !

·
Banned
4,365 Posts
Do we have a sponsors list?

Who is putting up the prize money?

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
No doubt. Hunters, true hunters, do not want a "hunting league". They want improved conservation efforts, very healthy wild game populations, access to open hunting grounds, and ethical fair chase. Not to mention meat on the table and in the freezer! At least, that's where 99.9% of the other hunters I know believe. And that other 0.1% that I know? They don't want a "league", either.

Those that desire a hunting league are target shooters, first and foremost. But one cannot create a Hunting League that will show any success. It misses the mark so badly.

Simply tune out, folks. Let them wither on the vine.

·
Banned
4,365 Posts
Tuning out is all well and good.
Boycotting the sponsors is even better.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Northforker said:
Tuning out is all well and good.
Boycotting the sponsors is even better.
:amen:

Hear, hear! Hit 'em all in the wallet!

I couldn't agree more....

·
Banned
4,365 Posts
No sponsors listed on website, just a bunch of hooters girls that are moonlighting in WHA t-shirts. Either there are no sponsors, WHA is keeping the sponsors list under wraps to protect the co-conspirators, or the sponsors are donating anonymously (that won't work for very long). Hopefully, someone shows up at the high fenced deer shooting pens and records any banners or signs that are displayed.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Jerry/NJ said:
''I think you will always have your antis that won't like it and you're going to have your traditional, traditional, traditional guys, that carved broadheads out of stone that are with you all the way,'' said Farbman, a Detroit area Realtor and developer.
I say show me one "traditional, traditional, traditional guy" who likes this idea.

And now... we must all be antis if we don't agree with Farbman...

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
KC-IL said:
I say show me one "traditional, traditional, traditional guy" who likes this idea.

And now... we must all be antis if we don't agree with Farbman...

Yep, all the traditional, traditional, traditional guys I know hate anything that is not a stick and a string and they also hate the commercialization of the sport!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts