Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you . . what’s the most important thing about a bow, that makes you want to keep that bow, that gives you the most satisfaction and enjoyment so you don’t want to part with that bow?

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Ive got bad shoulders so comfort is important to me . easy draw cycle , a quiet shot and above all accuracy and easy tuning . ive found all those qualitys in my bowtech realm x. Plus a repeatable grip and its really quick for the smooth cycle. Im loving my realm x.

·
Registered
295 Posts
X 2 on confidence,overall comfort and repeatability.Its nice to know that when you pick up your bow it will perform perfectly as long as you do your part.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I didn't spend $1500 on it so I don't have to use that fact to justify why it's the best bow on AT

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
To you . . what’s the most important thing about a bow, that makes you want to keep that bow, that gives you the most satisfaction and enjoyment so you don’t want to part with that bow?
Being able to maintain it. If it gets orphaned right away by the manufacturer and next year they've never heard of it and you can't get parts for it, I'm not inclined to really get used to it and keep it for long. Those bows are just one broken/worn part away from being down for an indeterminate amount of time while you search everywhere for 2nd-hand parts, etc. I find those bows kind of sit in my closet and don't get shot much no matter how nice they might be. Eventually I sell or give them away.

If I have stock of parts, or it's been made for long enough to have a big community of 2nd-hand parts in the event the bow is discontinued, I tend to keep those and learn how to make strings for em, etc....

lee.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,689 Posts
The bow that hangs on my wall due to respect is my old 2000 Hoyt UltraTec. The bow did it all in spite of me, 3D, Indoor, Outdoor, Field and even took a couple deer with it. Brought it out of retirement twice to take 2nd in the IAA Two Day Field Championship and then again to win a Darchery (301) with 7 shots.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
The most important for me would be the way it feels in my hand when I've settled my pin. Next would probably be feedback. When I release the arrow, feeling the reaction of the bow, knowing how well the shot went off without having the look downrange.
Next would have to be a smooth draw cycle , solid backtalk and little to no creep.
Last but not least would be tune ability... love my Binary cams.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Accuracy. Same with a gun, it better shoot good or it's worthless. I want a tack driver. The biggest reason for me to have a weapon is to hit what I'm aiming at.

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
confidence

the only way you can be confident is if you shoot it well.

I have 2 new bows and having to rebuild all that confidence, i have killed more deer with a bowtech experience then any bow that i have ever owned. if my triax or halon 32-6 gives me that confidence it will be along time before i get another.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
How it holds on target.

I'll sacrIfIce draw cycle, noise/shock, and any other minor gripes for a bow that holds just right and fits me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would say it's surely something different for everyone. Being blessed to be able to buy and trade bows has finally given me a true understanding of my needs. The last 2 years my tunning ability has increased which helps me make sure I'm getting the true feel and performance out of bows. Very few bows I have received new or used that were tunned properly. I use to be a speed guy shooting short ata bows with a 30 inch draw. Looking back I had terrible form and never shot as good as I do now. I now set my limits a bow has to have a minimum 34 ata. With the large cams out its usually equates to larger than that. My string angle is much improved with these bows. Grip has to be wide. Large hands and palms give me fits with thin grips and the way a hold. Thin grips cause me left and right dot misses. Smooth cams a must. Smooth all the way through with no big dump at the end. For me these are a must and have made me a better shooter.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,689 Posts
You know, it just seems that people don't understand bows or how to make them "their" bows. The only bow I didn't like was my ordered 2005 Bowtech Old Glory. Yeah, ordered and I didn't like it and only because of the harsh cams (people called them speed cams back then). The Softies came out in 2006 and weren't interchangeable with the 2005 Old Glory.

I can't think of a bow I've owned that didn't get the job done, target or hunting. What older bows I have, the 2000 UltraTec and 2000 MaganTec, are retired. I have a 2009 hunting bow....well, just nothing seems to be any better. I have a 2012 target bow that I kept as a back target bow. Since 2012 I've had a new target bow every year, but one and that was when I was laid up with my shoulder being overhauled.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I need to be able to shoot it accurately. And grip and back wall feel play a part in how accurately I shoot.

After accuracy, the feel of the draw cycle has become important to me recently. I developed tendonitis in both shoulders, so I am trying to take it easy on them.

I know speed should not be a big factor, but I admit I looked at the Ritual as an upgrade to my E35 for a few more FPS. Luckily, the grip, back wall, and draw cycle all are all the same or better than the E35 to me.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
for me it' how it shoots while i'm under pressure.

Most all the bows i've owned were good shooters. When the animal is right in front of me, how i feel the draw and shot go really determines if i keep it.

I had a switchback for years, loved the bow, but when i shot at game it just didn't hold or feel right. SB gone. My Heli on the other hand, that bow just made everything easy.

Should have never sold it but now i shoot a bowtech experience and shot a turkey with it so far, its a killing machine. Smooth and really performed well with me under pressure.

So really, i can't pin it on one thing, i have to hunt with my bows to see i they fit me.

·
Registered
8,960 Posts
For me it's not just one thing that makes me want to keep a bow, it's the complete package. Grip, draw cycle, back wall, balance, hold on target, string angle just to name a few things I look for in a bow. Total weight and hand shock are 2 things that are overhyped on here imo.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For me it's not just one thing that makes me want to keep a bow, it's the complete package. Grip, draw cycle, back wall, balance, hold on target, string angle just to name a few things I look for in a bow. Total weight and hand shock are 2 things that are overhyped on here imo.
OP here . . fun to here everyone’s thoughts here . . and interesting (at least to me) that we got 19 posts in before the first mention of hand shock (aka “DIH”, I won’t even say it out loud).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts