Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does moving the site forward help accuracy? And does it may it harder to hold the site steady on the target?
Do most pep,e remove the wider when they pack the bow in a case? I figure the site can be remounted quickly on the rail, but is it still accurate if you don’t install it at the same exact spot each time?
Also does still hit the same spot on he target if it’s mounred close to the riser, vs extended out to the end of the slider?

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I’m understanding you correctly I believe you are referencing a sight dovetail mount. If this is the case then I can answer a few of your questions. These style sights are great for quick removal and adjusting your sight picture. With these the best thing you can do is take a silver sharpie and mark where your sight sits, so that you can easily repeat its position while taking it off and putting it on. Also the further out you extend the sight your pin float will be much more exaggerated and noticeable than with a closer housing. Not that you aren’t holding the same steadiness, it is simply that it is more precise and you will be able to notice smaller movements. They are also good for being able to match up your scope with your peep. Moving it closer will make the housing appear bigger through your peep, and likewise extending it will make it appear smaller. Adjusting the distance of your sight bar will change your POI because the angle between your peep and your scope will change thus changing where you will hit. When setting up a dovetail find what length works best for you and sight in for that setup. Then make marks so that you can keep that distance consistent when you have to take it off the bow and put it back on.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There is a few reasons, you can mount them really far out, increasing your accuracy theoretically because the further away it is, the smaller your pin appears to you so you can really choose your spots. Downside to that is you will notice more pin float, and you would most likely need a smaller peep to match up with your sight ring. Another reason is that you can remove your sight quickly and easily if there is bowcase interference or you want to stow it away in a case so it doesn’t get bumped. But I would say the biggest benefit is that you can really dial it in perfectly to the size of your peep sight to really get a perfect match up of your sight ring to your peep so you know if you are torqueing even slightly. Also with adjustable sliding pins, the further or closer your sight is, I can’t remember exactly haha the smaller your pin gaps will be so you get more yardage out of your sight tape.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Increasing your sight radius (moving pin farther out) does increase accuracy, but it will float more, depends on your form and how still you can hold. (think pistol vs. rifle with iron sights). There are manufacturing tolerances built in to the the dove tail, and when you remove and replace it, it will seat slightly off from where it was previously making it necessary to adjust your zero, at least check it. If you move the slide to a different location (distance) you will need to recalibrate the yardage marks, or change the tape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.