Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new bow. Not brand new but a new to me. My last bow was a Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34 but I’m an idiot and sold it a few years ago and now even the used ones are selling for more than I sold mine for. Hoping to find something used and decent in the $500-600 range.

Just curious what some of you think the most underrated affordable bow for hunting big game would be? My Hoyt was a 31” draw and 70lbs. That’s about perfect for me as far a draw and draw weight go.

What should I be looking at that would compare to my Carbon Defiant I sold but within the $5-600 range. Thx.

My Deer this year. But unfortunately wasn’t with a bow. I want to get back into bow hunting. So much more satisfying to harvest an animal with a bow. At least in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
199 Posts
I always go for used flagship bows from the classifieds. All have been under $600. Everything from Carbon Spyder ZT 34 in 2018 to a Prevail 40 in 2020.

Picked up a Hyperforce in like March of 2020 for around $500. I love it. Rotating mod. Smooth draw. Just an all around great shooting bow.

I also picked up an PSE evolve for around $425. Even came with a PSE QAD and really good strings. Evolve cam. 90% let off. Again, smooth draw and a great shooting bow.

Obviously there is some personal preference there. But I think you can’t go wrong with either bow. If you are patient you can find some sweet deals. And if you really want to save some $ check ABB’s website. They have discount strings. Already made. Can’t pick the color. But there are some good deals there too.

·
Registered
2009 PSE bow madness xs
648 Posts
Depending on how big of a hurry you are for getting a bow. If you wait until after hunting season you can probably have endless selections and be able to save a little more $$$ for accessories

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on how big of a hurry you are for getting a bow. If you wait until after hunting season you can probably have endless selections and be able to save a little more $$$ for accessories
Good idea. In no hurry at this point. Waiting until after the first of the year is probably smart anyways as the new models will be out and people selling their stuff for newer models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There’s plenty of good deals right now on flagship bows of last years model or the year before. You can get a great bow like bowtech or prime for $500 bare. Just bought an sr6 a week ago. Mathew’s and Hoyt are such prestigious names it’ll have to be a couple years old to get it that cheap but I’ve seen v3 and Vxr models for 6-700

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Looking for a new bow. Not brand new but a new to me. My last bow was a Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34 but I’m an idiot and sold it a few years ago and now even the used ones are selling for more than I sold mine for. Hoping to find something used and decent in the $500-600 range.

Just curious what some of you think the most underrated affordable bow for hunting big game would be? My Hoyt was a 31” draw and 70lbs. That’s about perfect for me as far a draw and draw weight go.

What should I be looking at that would compare to my Carbon Defiant I sold but within the $5-600 range. Thx.

My Deer this year. But unfortunately wasn’t with a bow. I want to get back into bow hunting. So much more satisfying to harvest an animal with a bow. At least in my opinion.

I'd look for a "new" leftover bow that way you get a warranty and a new un shot bow.......... or something from bear archery

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Looks like I’m buying my old bow back. Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34. I texted the guy I sold it to and told him if he new anyone selling a bow to let me know as I was in the market again and looking to buy one. He told me he would sell me mine back because he just never shot it and didn’t have time as his business is to busy. Said he never even shot 10 arrows through it since buying it from me. Nice thing is it comes with a dozen arrows, sights, releases, hard case etc. He told me he’d sell it to me for $300 cheaper than I sold it to him for. Win, win for me. Should get it on Wednesday or Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
192 Posts
Update: Looks like I’m buying my old bow back. Hoyt Carbon Defiant 34. I texted the guy I sold it to and told him if he new anyone selling a bow to let me know as I was in the market again and looking to buy one. He told me he would sell me mine back because he just never shot it and didn’t have time as his business is to busy. Said he never even shot 10 arrows through it since buying it from me. Nice thing is it comes with a dozen arrows, sights, releases, hard case etc. He told me he’d sell it to me for $300 cheaper than I sold it to him for. Win, win for me. Should get it on Wednesday or Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
SCORE!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a PSE Ferocity that I can outshoot my flagship bows on. It was supposed to be a back up and one that my wife can shoot. Purchased brand new on Ebay for between 2 and 300 after seeing a review for it on archerytalks youtube channel (thanks Lucas). Bullet holes out of the box and just a smooth accurate bow. I used it bow season over my V3 31

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I just did a review on a Bear Resurgence... the RTH Package is $629.99... This is a very under rated bow!!!

·
Registered
10,459 Posts
Just shot 444/450 Vegas BHFS in leagues last night with a Hoyt Torrex. I bought from the classifieds for $400. I think they are $800 new. Shot a Bull elk in Sept. with the same bow. I like it, has all the Hoyt quality and innovation and weighs less than their Carbon bow.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I also have to add the Obsession HB33 to this list. All metal construction, no plastic limb pockets, super light, fast, and quiet with a few mods. 33.25" ATA, 6.5" brace height, and 3.8 pounds!
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Font Metal Auto part

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts