Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Killed a really nice buck and I’m prepping to send off to the taxi just hoping to get some opinions on forms I really like the 6900 Semi Sneak offset my buck scored 148 1/8 there’s so many to choose from? I need a right turn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Im a fan of the semi sneak forms aswell.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Joe Meder full sneak right turn offest shoulder. Other is Joe Meder semi upright offset left turn. Two of my favs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
the buck I shot last year had a 30.5 inch neck on the hair and 27 inches on the meat with cape removed. taxidermist used a form called "the intimidator" and said he really liked working with it and the mount turned out awesome.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
I think the coombs wall pedestal mounts are awesome looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
For the guys that like certain forms, do you request that form specifically? What if your taxi doesn't use the form/company you are requesting? Do they get the form you request or do they show you a form from the company they use that is similar/same to what you picked out?
How do you handle this? Just curious

·
Romans 8:1-39 NLT
1,076 Posts
I had one done on the McKenzie 6900 form w/ a left turn last year. I love the detail in the neck, shoulder and chest of this form.

Personally I'm not a fan of wall pedestal mounts. At least when they're mounted on a wall. I'd only get one done if I were putting it on a pedestal.

Attachments

·
Romans 8:1-39 NLT
1,076 Posts
For the guys that like certain forms, do you request that form specifically? What if your taxi doesn't use the form/company you are requesting? Do they get the form you request or do they show you a form from the company they use that is similar/same to what you picked out?
How do you handle this? Just curious
A good taxi should be able to order and use any form that you want as long as the form is still in production. My taxi had multiple books in his shop to look through.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Has anyone noticed that forms look better in certain sizes? I'm not sure what it is...maybe the eye to nose measurements or maybe some forms just look better than others. But I like a very sharp angle between the base of the antler and the eyes... and then a dip before the nose. I have achieved my best taxidermy happiness by picking the exact from and telling the taxi to use that form and make my deer "fit" onto it.

As for my favorite......I always find myself wanting a full sneaks but always get what best depicts what the buck was doing before I shot him. and I prefer ears at full alert.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
I had one done on the McKenzie 6900 form w/ a left turn last year. I love the detail in the neck, shoulder and chest of this form.

Personally I'm not a fan of wall pedestal mounts. At least when they're mounted on a wall. I'd only get one done if I were putting it on a pedestal.
That looks great and I like the detail. I have one at the taxidermist right now being done with a 6900 semi sneak wall pedestal. Can't wait to get it back.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The deer should pick the form. Rack, neck size, even the region of US where taken. Mckezies tend to have smaller heads than mears for example. A good taxi should be able to pick a good form or forms. A good taxi should also be able to manipulate forms to fit deer better. A good example is the mckenzie 6900. That form has a so called "goiter" on the outside turn of the base of tge neck. Many ppl dont like it. Many taxis remove it/file it. The reality is individual deer look different on tge same form. I have seen deer that look awesome on a specific form and seen my own not look so good on that form. That said, i tend to love tge mckenzie hd and anything mears. I saw a mckenzie 6500 one time that was one of tge best mounts ive ever seen. Some taxis love tgat form, some dont. I am close friends w my taci and have learned alot. I used to pick my form, now i let him pick it. It is a goid idea to read on sites like taxidermy.net for good info. Post a pic of the buck, would help answer tge ?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I am a fan of the coombs wall pedestal forms, have a couple done on them.

Mount 06.jpg

I like Mckezie's regular pedestal form as well.
mount nevada 4.jpg

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
You want to see beautiful deer mounts, look at dunkin taxidermy on Facebook. I found him through a search looking for a lip curl mount. He does beautiful work
I am wanting to do a buck in the exact pose as the pic I found and it's not a common form, at least to me.

The form in question is an Ohio taxidermy semi sneak altered to a lip curl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts