Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
There are a few guys that can mathematically work out if there is a bow that can do it, but I think that a 500gr arrow is a tad heavy to get to 300fps with only a 29" draw...

Lets see what the tech guys say...

· Registered
1,064 Posts
The new Pearson TX-4 with the R2B2 cams has an IBO of 361fps. With the bare minimum on the string it may get close. In reality its going to be 290fps ish with a normal hunting setup.

Total Arrow Weight: 500
Bow IBO Speed: 361
Adjustment for Draw Length: -10
Adjustment for Draw Weight: 0
Adjustment for Arrow Weight: -50
Adjustment for Weight on String: -1
Calculated Speed: 300 fps

Kinetic Energy: 99.95

You may enter the Total Arrow Weight -OR- the Broadhead Weight, Arrow Grains/Inch, Arrow Length, and Vane/Feather/Nock Weight and have it calculated for you.

Bow's IBO Speed (fps):
Draw Length (inches):
Draw Weight (pounds):
Weight on String (gr):
Total Arrow Weight (gr):
Arrow Length (inches):
Arrow Grain/Inch (gr/in):
Broadhead Weight (gr):
Vane/Feather/Nock Weight (gr):

· Registered
223 Posts
yes

the new pearson if it is getting its actual advertised ibo could barely do it thats not counting if you would have a whisker biscuit or a lip kisser and peep with a 29 in draw you would have 100 lbs of ke also

· Registered
1,064 Posts
I have asked Jim at Select to max my new Pearson out and he said 72lbs will be about it I think.

I am going with a 420gr arrow

Total Arrow Weight: 420
Bow IBO Speed: 361
Adjustment for Draw Length: -5
Adjustment for Draw Weight: +4
Adjustment for Arrow Weight: -23
Adjustment for Weight on String: -10
Calculated Speed: 327 fps

Bow's IBO Speed (fps): 361
Draw Length (inches): 29.5
Draw Weight (pounds): 72
Weight on String (gr): 30gr
Total Arrow Weight (gr): 420
Arrow Length (inches):
Arrow Grain/Inch (gr/in):
Broadhead Weight (gr):
Vane/Feather/Nock Weight (gr):

Kinetic Energy: 99.75

I dont think it will do 300fps with a 500gr though. Maybe the new PSE will get there as I hear they go above IBO but even then I doubt it.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
You're gonna lose 10fps at 29" draw.......another 50fps for a 500gr arrow......you'd need an IBO bow at 360fps IF you've got nothing on the string, AND the bow is actually losing 1fps for every 3gr of arrow weight.

If you plan on shooting with a loop, peep, etc.......then you're gonna need at least a 370+fps IBO bow.

I on the other hand.......with a 32" draw, could probably get that speed with a 500gr arrow.:wink: Right now I'm getting 292fps with a 481gr arrow at 68lbs with a 316fps IBO bow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.