Archery Talk Forum banner

What a great day to hunt... PICS

1270 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  mtmedic
I love to hunt in the snow and today got a chance to sneak out to my treestand this evening. I got out there late at 530 and sat for an hour just taking in the scenery and watching the deer out in the wheat field. It was 30 degrees and falling and I decided to take some pics. In the middle of this I finally see some does coming down my trail and one has already busted me screwing off. There are five does and they all stood broadside on the trail. I ranged them at 46 yards and as I was at full draw just settling my 40 yard pin when my thumb (which was numb from the cold) apparently put a little too much pressure on the Target 4 and off went the arrow just under the doe. I decided to get down 15 minutes later to try to find the arrow in the light and walk out.

As I get to the edge of the field here are 4-5 does and after watching them for 5 minutes about 8 more coming running over including a small 4 point. I ranged the closest doe at 53 yards and decided it was time to quit watching and start aiming. I held my 50 yd pin right behind her shoulder and waited for her to start grazing again and, WHACK!!!, she hunched up and made an 80 yd death sprint out into the field and it was all over. I ended up hitting her a tad high through both lungs but she expired pretty quick. It is amazing how fast these animals react even when they are relaxed!!!

I was lucky to take another mature doe Friday night so this makes two this weekend. Truly a good weekend but a beautiful Sunday on which the Lord blessed me with a great time in the field.

I hope you enjoy the pics...

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Primum Non Nocere
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
here is the second doe in 3 days...

Please note the safety harness strap over the right shoulder...

Bowtech MightyMite 71#, Sword Micro Apex 3rd plane, Limbdriver rest, GT 5575, Slick Trick 100 grn, Blazer Vanes, Sixty X strings.

Attachments

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Congrats...I gotta admit I am jealous though. Its still int he 80s here, and Im hunting in my Microlite suit. :mad: LOL...I cant wait for 30 degree temps and snow...

Clay

· Classifieds Administrator
39,734 Posts
Congrats on the doe and some beautiful country you live in. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story.

· Primum Non Nocere
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cant believe you already have snow. but man i love hunting in the snow.
The weather service said we were going to get a big storm all weekend and this finally hit Saturday night. Now it is going to melt. It is supposed to be 50 -60 degrees all week long. At least I got to enjoy it while it was here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.