Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I'm asking this question is due to being told by a friend that I have started my 10 year old son to soon. My son has been going to the woods with me before he could walk. I worked seconds and my wife worked days so I would pack him around while scoutting. when I praticed with my bow he would be in his stroller. For Christmas we got him a Matthews Ingation casue he had out grown his Genis. For the past two years my son has watched ever hunting video I and our local libaray have. Before turkey season opened he ask if he could use his bow. I check his draw weight and he is pulling 42 lbs. so I said yes to turkey hunting and deer hunting. So far he has only hunted one day with his shotgun the rest has been with bow. He wants to be the next Chuck Adams and do the big game 29 and the turkey slam with a bow. A friend has advised me that I have started him out with a bow to early and that he will give up if he does not shot anything. My son is well aware of bowhunting and that more time you come home empty handed then anything. I feel that if he wants to try it fine and if he wants to take a gun fine also. I feel that it is his choice on what weapon he wants to use. He has taken two birds and 5 deer with a gun. what do you think.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Here in Illinois, we can take the kids out bowhunting as soon as they can draw 40#.

This season my 10 year old son will be joining me in the deer woods and I'm extremely excited about it. Both my sons (9 & 10) and my daughter (14) have been deer and turkey hunting with muzzleloader and shotgun for years but my boys are lookin' forward to increasing their time in the woods by hunting with their bows. It's still going to be another season or two before my youngest will be able to comfortably shoot out state minimum though.

·
Living The Dream
3,796 Posts
Good for you! If your son wants to hunt with a bow, absolutely let him. My son shoots with me daily and will be in the blind with me for turkey's in the middle of this month. He not too young, and with that level of enthusiasm, he is grown beyond his years...Good luck to both of you this season.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The sooner the better. It sounds like your son understands that being a hunter does not mean you will harvest an animal ever time you go. I started my son's at 10 yrs old and as soon as they could pull 40lbs I had them out hunting with me. Both have yet to score on a deer with their bows but that doesn't stop them from wanting to go. Good luck!!!!!!

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I think you've done a fine job! Sounds like he may BE the next Chuck Adams! I think you do have to be careful with some kids bowhunting too soon, but it doesn't sound like you have one of those kids to me! If I were you, I would encourage him to try for the first legal animal he can get a good shot at, just to get it under his belt. Does make great firsts!

If he has the accuracy and he's legal, I say turn him loose!

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
Tell your friend to suck eggs.It aint his child

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
When they were able to pull the minumun draw weight established by the state and could hit the target well enough at the yardage I deemed fit .That was 10 ,15 and 20 . The had to be in ths kill at least for you 3-d guys that kill is actually the 8 ring or vitals. This was my oldest sons first bow buck he was 10 .and shot it at 15 yards the blood in the pic is the exsit wound it was a darn good shot the buck ran maybe 20 yards and fell over after a few seconds.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You are doing everything perfect in my opinion. I understand what your buddy is saying about if he doesn't get one. But, what if he DOES get one. He will be hooked for life.

My boys just finished their first set of beginner archery classes. They want to hunt this season so bad. Oh, they are 10 and 11. my younger is small and cannot pull 40# yet. I have to get them bows yet, one is right and the older is left.:) figures. They are getting better every day and would be ready if they had a setup bow.

If they ask to go, NEVER tell them NO. Last shotgun season I dedicated my weekend hunts to them and had that mindset when I stepped into the woods with them. Keep it up. Our sport depends on it!

Nathan

·
Vendor
4,577 Posts
It is your son. If you think he is ready and can pull the legal poundage and shoot well enough have at it. My son is 3 and when he can pull 35 pounds and shoot well enough he will be going hunting if he wishes to. It does not matter if he is 5 or 15 as long as he is capable and willing. I would ignore the friend and if he persisted i would politely tell him to mind his own business.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I started as soon as I could pull the minimum 40lbs for deer. I think one should be able to pull 40 while sitting and hold it for a few minutes, then still hit the vitals of a deer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I started taking my 12 year old sister turkey hunting this season. She hasnt killied a bird yet but she seems super pumped when we are out there. I shot a tom with her sitting next to me (wanted her to shoot but it was just out of rang). Oh wellL!!! She had big time buck fever it was great. Last day of seaon is tomorrow so she has another chance. She said she wil kill hogs and turks for now but well see. Its been a blast and she is more of a trooper than our dad.!!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
hunting age

I started taking my son with me when he was 4. We hunted from ground blinds at first and graduated to 2-man ladder stands when he was 5.

He killed his first two deer (does) with a gun when he was 6 and has been dropping at least 1 gun kill every year since.

He started bow hunting with a Browning Micro Adrenaline when he was 8. We mainly hunted over bait piles to keep the shots to a know yardage. He was very accurate out to 30 yards in the backyard, but I guess that buck fever got the best of him as he cleanly missed several deer with the Micro.

When he was 11 he got a Mathew's Ignition and his accuracy really improved, but the deer on our farm didn't cooporate and provide a suitable shot with a bow for his range.

He is 14 now and shooting a Parker Blackhawk pulling 57 pounds. We shoot 3D almost every weekend. He has good accuracy out to 40 yards in the backyard. I hope that this is the year he gets his first bow kill. The deer heard seems to have rebounded from the blue tongue outbreak a couple of years ago.

In short, he hasn't been discouraged by not getting a bow kill over 6 seasons. He has continued to fill his tags during youth and modern gun seasons. I think that he is hooked for life. Start them young.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
The reason I'm asking this question is due to being told by a friend that I have started my 10 year old son to soon. My son has been going to the woods with me before he could walk. I worked seconds and my wife worked days so I would pack him around while scoutting. when I praticed with my bow he would be in his stroller. For Christmas we got him a Matthews Ingation casue he had out grown his Genis. For the past two years my son has watched ever hunting video I and our local libaray have. Before turkey season opened he ask if he could use his bow. I check his draw weight and he is pulling 42 lbs. so I said yes to turkey hunting and deer hunting. So far he has only hunted one day with his shotgun the rest has been with bow. He wants to be the next Chuck Adams and do the big game 29 and the turkey slam with a bow. A friend has advised me that I have started him out with a bow to early and that he will give up if he does not shot anything. My son is well aware of bowhunting and that more time you come home empty handed then anything. I feel that if he wants to try it fine and if he wants to take a gun fine also. I feel that it is his choice on what weapon he wants to use. He has taken two birds and 5 deer with a gun. what do you think.
Honestly your post sounds like you may want him to be the next Chuck Adams and get this slam and that .I mean the kid is 10 years old I have coached 1000 kids locally and raised 2 boys that hunt they were all exactly the same they just wanted to play / hunt .So dad lighten up a bit you should put what ever weeapon in his hands and hunt whatever it takes to just get some game down in front of him. If that means birds like dove or rabbits or squrels with a shot gun so be it if he/you wants him to bow hunt only he will son start to loose intrest without some game down.

The only person a boy wants to be like deep down is DAD when they are 10 .Remember that set a good example now and use all the weapons you can with him to show him its ok to use them and not be a gun ,xbow ,or any other weapon hater.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm 17 now and I started bowhunting when I was 12. As long as he is seeing deer when he goes out there then he should be ok. Once I started hunting in areas with a lot of deer and had them coming by me I was truly hooked and now I can't get enough of bow hunting. Just try to get him on the deer and he should stay interested.

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
Jr. is 13 and has taken 10 deer since age 7.

He started bow hunting when he was 11 and could draw 35 #.

I let him shoot at an alert doe (staring right at us) at age 11 and she jumped the string. He hit her about as high in the top of the back as you can. We did not recover her.

Since then he has not shot at any alert deer with a bow and has had great success taking his first bow buck last year.

10 is fine as long as nerves dont' bother him and he does not shoot at alert deer. They are too fast for 35-40#. Heck, they are too fast for 60# if they are alert. Move too quick.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I started shooting a bow when I was 5, hunting with one as soon as dad felt safe I was hitting what I aimed at and could pull back 45 lbs. Now 25 years after I started on a bow I still shoot one almost daily. The key is to not push it on the child and let them take their own course. If they get tired of it and want to sit it down for a bit, let them. Pushing it on them will only drive them from it.

I can remember bow hunting with my dad when I was 6/7 years old. He would have his bow and let me take my youth model with me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sounds like your doing it right and your son has a great attitude towards bowhunting. My 10 year old daughter will start hunting this fall and I can't wait she is super excited about it. I am going to buy her a real bow this summer and hopefully she will be ready to bowhunt next season. If kids want to hunt at an early age we shouldn't discourage them. I can remember when I was that age I couldn't get enough!

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
If my 8 year old daughter could pull the legal weight she would be out there this year....looks like she's a few years away from bowhunting though. Good luck to your boy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
im yukon mikes son and i hunt all the time I bet that me and him both had 100 hours each in the woods in 09 my first bow sucked but i got a new one so im goin to get me one this year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts