Archery Talk Forum banner

What all is allowed in the hunter class?

1026 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Spoon13
I'm going to start shooting 3d this spring/summer. I'm going to be using my hunting bow, so what all is allowed for the hunter class? Such as sights, stabilizers, etc.
I'm new at this so please bear with all the questions.

Thanks,
David
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Archery Addict
5,688 Posts
I'm going to start shooting 3d this spring/summer. I'm going to be using my hunting bow, so what all is allowed for the hunter class? Such as sights, stabilizers, etc.
I'm new at this so please bear with all the questions.

Thanks,
David
Maximuim of 12" stabilizer max 4 pins in your sight and screw in points in your arrows.

· Registered
2,193 Posts
It depends on what rules you are shooting under. In asa glue in target points allowed, ibo requies screw in. Asa speed is 280fps, ibo is that or 5grs per lb. Just go out and shoot fun class at first. You will be addicted.

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasnt aware that there is a fun class. So is that just for people to get the hang of things before they jump into a class?

David

· Registered
778 Posts
If this really is your first time and you want to go shoot, shoot from where ever you feel comfortable. Heck shoot from the closest stake if you want to, no one should mind, just don't turn your score card in at the end of the day. Ignore The folks that might get upset, they have forgotten what its like to be new to the sport. Go out, be safe, and have fun.

· Registered
591 Posts
Why only four pins?

I was on the ASA website last night and it said nothing about having only four pins. Why would that be a requirement and not be on the site? I would like to go but I have to slow my setup way down and now have to only have four pins, why all the restrictions for the hunter class. I understand to keep things competitive but I don't even know who would make a sight with only four pins any more. Is there any other things I would need to do to my bow to get into the Hunter class?

· Registered
4,587 Posts
I was on the ASA website last night and it said nothing about having only four pins. Why would that be a requirement and not be on the site? I would like to go but I have to slow my setup way down and now have to only have four pins, why all the restrictions for the hunter class. I understand to keep things competitive but I don't even know who would make a sight with only four pins any more. Is there any other things I would need to do to my bow to get into the Hunter class?
That is an IBO rule. ASA doesn't restrict the number of pins.

Make sure your stabilizer is under 12" from risor to tip. They came around checking us 2 years ago at the Classic. Make sure you are speed legal.

Other than that, enjoy yourself. That's the most important part.

· Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up makes it a little easier to get ready. Never shot a big shoot like this and just trying to get all my ducks in a row before hand.

· Registered
4,587 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up makes it a little easier to get ready. Never shot a big shoot like this and just trying to get all my ducks in a row before hand.
You WILL LOVE it. There is nothing like shooting an ASA Pro/Am event. Just don't forget to focus on Sat and Sun when you're in class. Sometimes it's not too hard to get wrapped up in everything going on and forget that you are there for a shoot.

· Registered
591 Posts
What else is there to do at the Pro/Am shoots? I will be shooting my first one in Paris, TX and am really excited about it. Just hoping to get the jitters out before going into an event with all the big boys shooting there also.

· Registered
4,587 Posts
What else is there to do at the Pro/Am shoots? I will be shooting my first one in Paris, TX and am really excited about it. Just hoping to get the jitters out before going into an event with all the big boys shooting there also.
Lets see, you have the Pro/A, itself. That is HIGHLY recommended. Getting the chance to shoot with a Pro can be an amazing experience. You get to see upclose how they do things and are more than willing to help if you have a question.

You have the Limbsaver Know Distance Range, also known as the Simms Range, that is a blast. 10 targets, known distance, shootem up!!!! You can shoot in whatever group you want but you are only competing against people in your class.

You have the Long Distance Shot, usually the Buffalo and I think I heard someone say he is at about 96 yards this year. It was 101 last year. Put one in the ring on the dot and become eligible for the Yamaha UTV. Put 2 in there back to back and get $100.

And last but not least, what I call the midway. All the vendor set up and show off the new toys and can do some repairs. Lots of stuff to buy and see. I usually have a shopping list or three for the ASA's. You can save a little money and it's just cooler to buy it at an ASA instead of online.

Now with Paris, you also get dinner and a show. They have the Pro Shootdown Saturday night just like the Classic. DON'T MISS THIS!!!!!! It is awesome to watch those guys/gals shoot. After that there is a concert and fireworks show. However I just looked in my Tour Guide and it doesn't say anything about it this year but I can't imagine they would change it.

Just a little about an ASA Pro/Am event. If ya have anymore questions, just let us know.

· Registered
29 Posts
I am in a similar situation with a local tourney getting started close to me. My question is are single pin adjustables allowed? If not then I will have to put my 4-pin back on, not a problem, just curious.

· Registered
4,587 Posts
I am in a similar situation with a local tourney getting started close to me. My question is are single pin adjustables allowed? If not then I will have to put my 4-pin back on, not a problem, just curious.
That's up to the club that runs it. Our Coalition allows rear movables in our Hunter classes because so many people use them, but if you go to an ASA or IBO shoot, it's not allowed.

Contact the club putting on the shoot and ask them. Sorry I can't help you better than that.

· Registered
591 Posts
Lets see, you have the Pro/A, itself. That is HIGHLY recommended. Getting the chance to shoot with a Pro can be an amazing experience. You get to see upclose how they do things and are more than willing to help if you have a question.

You have the Limbsaver Know Distance Range, also known as the Simms Range, that is a blast. 10 targets, known distance, shootem up!!!! You can shoot in whatever group you want but you are only competing against people in your class.

You have the Long Distance Shot, usually the Buffalo and I think I heard someone say he is at about 96 yards this year. It was 101 last year. Put one in the ring on the dot and become eligible for the Yamaha UTV. Put 2 in there back to back and get $100.

And last but not least, what I call the midway. All the vendor set up and show off the new toys and can do some repairs. Lots of stuff to buy and see. I usually have a shopping list or three for the ASA's. You can save a little money and it's just cooler to buy it at an ASA instead of online.

Now with Paris, you also get dinner and a show. They have the Pro Shootdown Saturday night just like the Classic. DON'T MISS THIS!!!!!! It is awesome to watch those guys/gals shoot. After that there is a concert and fireworks show. However I just looked in my Tour Guide and it doesn't say anything about it this year but I can't imagine they would change it.

Just a little about an ASA Pro/Am event. If ya have anymore questions, just let us know.
That's awesome. Just wanted to say thanks for making this the longest two week wait that I have ever been through :set1_draught2:.

· Registered
4,587 Posts
That's awesome. Just wanted to say thanks for making this the longest two week wait that I have ever been through :set1_draught2:.
I've been to five of them. Augusta,GA is the only one I'll get to this year. I'm in the same boat with a longer ride. But I promise, it's worth the wait.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.