Archery Talk Forum banner

What are my upgrade options?

1701 Views 25 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Osmanthus
All,

I shoot WA barebow, with 23" SF Forged Plus riser, SF Axiom Plus limbs 16 lbs (so 18 lbs on my riser), 1416 Jazz arrows.
I have neck and shoulder issues, so I need light mass weight and draw weight (although I am an adult female).

If I were to upgrade, what are my options? Just thinking...

Thank you.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't up grade. Master what you have, IMO. Practice anchor and form. Set a goal for a year from now, write it down and then go after it.
So those are good enough then? Thank you.

· Registered
751 Posts
You are never done experimenting with archery, just don't be so quick to move on. If your arrow flight is good, then what you will need to work on the most is the archer. As you're working your way through archery if you have a solid core, able to hold and have a good finger release...well that will help get the most out of the equipment your shooting. Arrows (spine, tip weight and fetching) would be the only thing I would change for now.
Set goals, field, safari, 3D or just flinging and having fun....once you know where you want to go the journey and cost will go down.

· Registered
957 Posts
The Forged+ is a pretty good riser for the money. I would ask why you wish to upgrade and how long have you had your current setup?

Axiom+ limbs I've matched my best Indoor scores with them against some very expensive high end limbs, 292 on the 300 round, only need to upgrade if shooting Field rounds, they should be fine for Indoor/3D.

If you do decide to upgrade then a light Carbon riser would likely be a logical direction for you. Arrows would be a good starting point, something like Victory Vap arrows would be lighter/faster than the Jazz arrows.

· Registered
22,135 Posts
Os -

What are your indoor scores?

Besides just "wanting" to upgrade, the real reason to do so, is when the equipment isn't giving you something you want.

There may be lighter riser options, but they will either be a "down grade", or be very expensive.

Viper1 out.

· Shootin and Cussin
27,299 Posts
I have a G2 I'm gettong ready to sell. Just sayin'..... There is an upgrade option for you.

· losing arrows since 1966
1,307 Posts
Comfort vs performance

All,

I shoot WA barebow, with 23" SF Forged Plus riser, SF Axiom Plus limbs 16 lbs (so 18 lbs on my riser), 1416 Jazz arrows.
I have neck and shoulder issues, so I need light mass weight and draw weight (although I am an adult female).

If I were to upgrade, what are my options? Just thinking...

Thank you.
I have some serious neck and shoulder issues also. I hope you are on a path to recovery.
To me, an upgrade is not about performance. I will never be able the reach the potential or limitation of the equipment I have now. That is probably true for 90%+ of all shooters, health issues or not. But not NEEDING new equipment, has never stopped me from wanting new equipment.:teeth:
An upgrade for me, is about comfort. And fact is, some risers are more comfortable to shoot than others. But one of the factors that make for a smoother, more comfortable shot, is mass weight. So if you can handle a heavier riser( you added 12oz weights already?), and comfort, not increased performance are the goal, there are a lot of options.
Maybe some of the more experienced indoor shooters could make some recommendations in that direction?

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are pretty good. But one question is: what are your goals?

My girlfriend draws 15# at her length. She's pretty happy shooting paper and 3D 5 to 15 yards. She and is pretty good at it too.
I am happy shooting paper, too. I am not much of an outdoor person, so my goal will be indoor (18 meters WA / 20 yards NFAA). Someday I would like to earn the AAP Olympic pins in barebow. I have my blue pin now (200 / 300 WA). While I do try to focus on "one arrow at a time" and focus on the process, the scores and the pins are something concrete that shows improvement.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are never done experimenting with archery, just don't be so quick to move on. If your arrow flight is good, then what you will need to work on the most is the archer. As you're working your way through archery if you have a solid core, able to hold and have a good finger release...well that will help get the most out of the equipment your shooting. Arrows (spine, tip weight and fetching) would be the only thing I would change for now.
Set goals, field, safari, 3D or just flinging and having fun....once you know where you want to go the journey and cost will go down.
Thank you. Point taken.
Given the draw weight, what options do I have for the arrows? It seems to me that I cannot change the tip weight (easily). The fletching I have right now are feathers, I think 4".

My goal is indoor, WA and NFAA. I would like to get my red AAP pin this year.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Forged+ is a pretty good riser for the money. I would ask why you wish to upgrade and how long have you had your current setup?

Axiom+ limbs I've matched my best Indoor scores with them against some very expensive high end limbs, 292 on the 300 round, only need to upgrade if shooting Field rounds, they should be fine for Indoor/3D.

If you do decide to upgrade then a light Carbon riser would likely be a logical direction for you. Arrows would be a good starting point, something like Victory Vap arrows would be lighter/faster than the Jazz arrows.
Wow, 292/300... impressive! For now I will stick with indoor. It is great to hear that the riser and limbs are that good. Viper recommended that setup for me. I have been happy with them. I am just exploring my options :) I have had this setup a little over 1.5 years.

Would you mind explaining why a lighter / faster arrow will be better (I know that if I want to go outdoor I need lighter arrows, but for now let's go with indoor only).

Thank you.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Os -

What are your indoor scores?

Besides just "wanting" to upgrade, the real reason to do so, is when the equipment isn't giving you something you want.

There may be lighter riser options, but they will either be a "down grade", or be very expensive.

Viper1 out.
Thank you so much for replying. You recommended my current setup and I have been very happy with it. I am just exploring my options :)

My indoor scores is around 215/300. I have my black pin barebow AAP and working on my red pin now.

I don't think I need a lighter riser per se, but I cannot go much heavier. I have held Spigarelli BB riser and that one is heavy. Some people said that I need to increase the draw weight but given my neck / shoulder condition I don't think I want to go that direction. I have a set of 20 lb limbs already so someday I may go back to those but at the moment I prefer to stay with 16 lb limbs.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have some serious neck and shoulder issues also. I hope you are on a path to recovery.
To me, an upgrade is not about performance. I will never be able the reach the potential or limitation of the equipment I have now. That is probably true for 90%+ of all shooters, health issues or not. But not NEEDING new equipment, has never stopped me from wanting new equipment.:teeth:
An upgrade for me, is about comfort. And fact is, some risers are more comfortable to shoot than others. But one of the factors that make for a smoother, more comfortable shot, is mass weight. So if you can handle a heavier riser( you added 12oz weights already?), and comfort, not increased performance are the goal, there are a lot of options.
Maybe some of the more experienced indoor shooters could make some recommendations in that direction?
Thank you, I hope we both stay healthy and well to continue to shoot.

You are right, not NEEDING new equipments doesn't stop me from WANTING :)

OK, so for me, an upgrade still means increased performance without sacrificing comfort (and more comfortable will be a bonus of course). The weight of the current riser and limbs is probably about my limit. I don't particularly feel that I need to go much lighter but I don't think I want to go much heavier as well.

Thank you.

· Registered
10,877 Posts
For indoor all that really matters is a set of limbs you can dominate and a set of arrows that get your point on the paper while still tuning (that last part is debatable).

Grant

· Registered
22,135 Posts
Os -

You really don't need an "upgrade" right now.

If you want new toys, go for it, but it will be more of a personalizing thing, and you may not realize any score increase because of it.
Exceptions to the above include 1. Psychological benefit (yes, the placebo effect, and yes, it's real). and 2. a bow that physically "fits " you better. That could include grip contour or as you mentioned mass weight or balance.

If it's legal for what you are doing, a stabilizer and some type of sling might be on your short list.

Viper1 out.

· Registered
636 Posts
I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but I recently saw that Gillo's 23' riser will be available soon and there's also the Fiberbow. I'm pretty sure a couple of the Uukha limbs are available in light DW or if you want to go all out you might check with Border to see if they will make you a set to your needs. As for arrows, if you want to go carbon the CX Medallion XRs come in the appropriate spine and have a pretty good reputation.

Paul

· Registered
150 Posts
Do you have a characteristic "miss"? How are you liking your grip: medium, high, low?

Sling and different arrows are some pretty good suggestions. Moving from aluminum to carbon means dropping 50 grains, or 20%, of the arrow weight. Faster, flatter, flight path without adding draw weight.

· Registered
957 Posts
Would you mind explaining why a lighter / faster arrow will be better (I know that if I want to go outdoor I need lighter arrows, but for now let's go with indoor only).

Thank you.
Grant was kind enough to send me some VAP target arrows to try after I couldn't get the ACE's to work for me, I really liked the VAPs and got some V1's, 28" with 110g points, GasPro vanes the come in at 275g, having 110g up front gives me a very fast, flat and stable shooting arrow.

So a lighter arrow you can put more weight up front for stability, a flatter shooting arrow won't drop so much with a weakly executed shot. VAP's also have a great spine choice/range.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.