Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about solid limbs as opposed to split limbs here, of course. Does anyone know why Mathews and Martin (just to name two that come to mind) would make their limbs "slimmer"? Is it to decrease limb tip torque by shortening the moment arm created by pulling the cables to the side?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Maybe lower the physical weight of the bow...that is what some advertise.

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
martin using slim limbs? havnt noticed.

when i think slim limbs i think mathews dren and dxt limbs

also slim is in:) duh.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I thought the saying was "thin is in". :shade:

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe lower the physical weight of the bow...that is what some advertise.
I hope that's not the reason...because that's pretty lame if it is.

Cherry haven't you heard the advertisment lighter faster tougher:darkbeer:
I'm having a tough time understanding that concept, considering that the bows today really aren't any faster than bows before the limbs went "slim".

martin using slim limbs? havnt noticed.

when i think slim limbs i think mathews dren and dxt limbs

also slim is in:) duh.
I guess Martin is using them as well...check out the website.

·
Registered
24,837 Posts

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
I guess Martin is using them as well...check out the website.
which bow are they using them on? are we talking mathews slim style? the pantera i saw didnt have slim limbs. although i guess i would say my alien limb looks a little smaller then my martin tracar limbs.

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
which bow are they using them on? are we talking mathews slim style? the pantera i saw didnt have slim limbs. although i guess i would say my alien limb looks a little smaller then my martin tracar limbs.
I believe all the models have them now. I was just looking at the website and the Warthog's description mentions Martin's new "narrower laminated limb". I'm not sure if it's pencil-thin like the Mathews, but I do believe they're thinner than limbs of yesteryear.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I thought it had something to do with where the limbs store the power. They store most of the power on the outside and virtually none in the middle. So you can slim the limb down and get the same power out them, and get rid of the wasted material and space.

·
Registered
473 Posts
One theory is to improve efficiency. If you can store the exact same energy in a smaller and/or lighter limb you are using less of the stored energy to accelerate the slimmer/lighter limb. Thus, greater efficiency possible resulting in greater arrow speed. As far as the limb twist issue...I don't have an easy answer for that. Just a quick thought is that the massive pre-load on the limbs could result in greater limb twist. There is a finite amount of strength (for lack of a better term) in each limb. If you are pushing a limb to it's limit in pre-load alone, you don't have much resistance left to fight torsion. I'm probably wrong, I'm sure the AT rocket scientists will show up soon and make me look foolish. Oh well, I'll go back to making beer now.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Interesting question, I've wondered myself, think it began with martin on the alien in 09. Less material less cost? don't know maybe Dave Barnsdale could answer the question, he makes em.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I believe all the models have them now. I was just looking at the website and the Warthog's description mentions Martin's new "narrower laminated limb". I'm not sure if it's pencil-thin like the Mathews, but I do believe they're thinner than limbs of yesteryear.
I just put 2010 limbs on my 2008 FireCat. Without going into a lot of detail I'll tell you the "old style" pre-2010 limbs measured 1 7/8" wide at the tip. The 2010 limbs measure 1 1/2".

Why the change? I ain't got the foggiest notion.

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought it had something to do with where the limbs store the power. They store most of the power on the outside and virtually none in the middle. So you can slim the limb down and get the same power out them, and get rid of the wasted material and space.
If that's the case, wouldn't a split limb be the most efficient in the first place?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
If that's the case, wouldn't a split limb be the most efficient in the first place?
Yes sir they would be. I believe that is the exact reason they came out with split limbs. Wasnt it mathews that did alot of the knocking of split lims and said they would never go that route though. So maybe they are trying to save a lil face by just goig with the slim limbs.

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes sir they would be. I believe that is the exact reason they came out with split limbs. Wasnt it mathews that did alot of the knocking of split lims and said they would never go that route though. So maybe they are trying to save a lil face by just goig with the slim limbs.
Apparently, all the split limbs before the ones that Mathews put out were crappy and they just "revolutionized" them in some new, untold way.

I would think that it's a lot harder to impart torsional damage on a limb that is half the width of another, simply because you're essentially reducing the length of the moment arm.

I'm likely wrong; perhaps an actual mechanical engineer could shed some light on this for all our benefit?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I believe you are right, now look at them with the monster. I guess they saw the light

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Further irony is, I know a few people who liked Mathews and disliked split limb bows, but were some of the first to jump on the Monster when it came out.

:izza:

I believe you are right, now look at them with the monster. I guess they saw the light

1 - 19 of 19 Posts