Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading out next Thursday and was just wondering what mood the elk are in? Are they starting to bugle? When would you predict the rut to hit. I can't wait to get out there. Have any of you got an elk yet? Well good luck to everyone out there already.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good Luck Jeremy. I am leaving on the 7th, will be hunting on the evening of the 9th, Bull will be in the truck the morning of the 10th. They are actually running down the mountain and jumping in the back of the trucks.

·
id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Should be a quick trip then. Lol just thought id ask. How do I know what's going on out there. I will be hunting on the 10th.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
still hot here in western CO. I have heard a few bulls bugling but it really hasn't started here where I'm hunting.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Scattered bugles in the high country from what I have heard on other forums. All quiet on the front range where I was last weekend. Temps have been high, but calling for them to drop through this weekend. Highs in the 60's on the front range by Sunday and Monday. I haven't heard how long they will stay that low. Guessing the mountains may get down to the 40's or 50's for highs, depending on your elevation.

I shot a big bull last Saturday morning, he already had a herd of 16 to 20 cows in tow. It all happened so quickly, I couldn't count them. Never heard a peep from any of them. There were also a couple small bulls hanging out with them.

Good luck everyone. I'm off for a cow or bear this weekend.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
I'm heading out next Thursday and was just wondering what mood the elk are in? Are they starting to bugle? When would you predict the rut to hit.
You can almost always get them to sound off, even early in the season. That doesn't mean that they are rutting. There are different stages to this whole process leading up to the full-blown rut.

·
id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Ch that was a very nice bull you took. I saw that last weekend and I wanted to pack up and leave that day.lol.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Big cold front coming in over the weekend. Supposed to to drop temps 25 degrees. Already a lot cooler today. Should be good for the elk activity.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I am getting excited be ther on Thursday. Headed out to public ground by steamboat springs. Cool temperatures sound great

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bulls are still bachelored off with lots of sparring and little bugling, next to no chasing boy on girl but the rags are chasing each other around a lot. Good bulls are solo and hitting the chow hard... waiting. It's hot, haven't even had a frost yet.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Here in unit 43 they seem to be scattered and high to very high. I have not heard a bugle yet, but I have heard of two good bulls taken in this area. I saw a picture of one and they said it scored 340 green. That is a very big bull for this area.

·
id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. 25 degrees, that's nice. Please keep me posted on the situation.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Was up in the mountains near Steamboat last weekend. Didn't hear a peep. Most of the bulls are still hanging around each other with some cows intermixed. Saw a lot of torn up trees and they're sparring. Hopefully this cool weather will get make them a little more active.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
This post is great.I like to read how you guys are doing.I'm home wishing i was out there.But i'm home with my wife.How is fight cancer.But she said next year i can go back to elk hunting.Good luck guys and keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
We worked 30 elk yesterday in two different groups, both of which had bulls, and we could not get them to sound off at all.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
We worked 30 elk yesterday in two different groups, both of which had bulls, and we could not get them to sound off at all.
If you know where they are, you don't need to get them to sound off.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife! Tell her to KEEP FIGHTING!

This post is great.I like to read how you guys are doing.I'm home wishing i was out there.But i'm home with my wife.How is fight cancer.But she said next year i can go back to elk hunting.Good luck guys and keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts