Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out in the Arkansas woods yesterday and it was about 15 degrees. All over the ground were these ice "ribbons" that seemed to come out from the base of twig-like plants. The ice was very thin and in an elaborate formation. I have seen them for many years but never knew what they were called or how they formed. Anyone have any info? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
i always just thought they were spider webs that had caught dew and frozen. (could easily be wwwaaaayyy off)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The moisture/water comes from the plant or ground itself just don't know what it is called or how it works.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I saw them yesterday as well. I don't think they're from spider webs. They look cool though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else see them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took some botany classes back in another lifetime. We did a field study one early morning and came across those. They are formed by rain /dew drops that slide down the edges of the plant stems, then as the air and wind blows it freezes them onto the stem and since the ambient air temp is colder than the plants stems, they freeze!
Cool though, Huh!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Some of the old timers here in Arkansas call it "***** frost" Not sure why.I guess AT won't allow that word.

Try again...hore frost.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
Some of the old timers here in Arkansas call it "***** frost" Not sure why.I guess AT won't allow that word.

Try again...hore frost.
The word is "hoarfrost".

Hoar is an old term that referred to white or silver hair, or white/silver things in nature.

If you have gray hair now, you had a hoary head back in the day.

It's called the same here. Very cool.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's crazy! I grew up in the Ozarks and know exactly what you are talking about! I had often wondered what they were myself?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
We see them alot around here, call them frost flowers, they seem to come from ironweeds mostly.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
i have seen varying degrees of this. always just assumed it was moisture from inside the stems of plants that, when frozen, protudes from the plant.

·
Team #2-Bow Brothers
1,728 Posts
Never seen anything like it here in Michigan. When it gets that cold all plant life is already buried in 2 feet of snow. Got over 12 inches of snow just yesterday alone.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Thought hoar frost was the frost that builds up when you have an air leak around a freezer door.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts