Archery Talk Forum banner

what arrows?

647 9
i have been using my hunting arrows for 3d(easton fmj 340) and they seem to be a bit overkill. whats the best 3d arrow without breaking the bank?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,052 Posts
You mean overkill as far as total arrow weight? What poundage and draw length are you shooting? You might be able to shoot a similar easton shaft in a lesser spine, which will bring your overall weight down. Then look at your components as far as tips and fletchings, 3D and hunting are two different types of applications. I shoot lightspeeds as both my target and hunting shafts.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Depending on your shaft length, you might drop to 400 spine and lower point weight, that will possibly lower your momentum a little, even though your speed will go up. What point weight you using? At 35 yds and under your not going to notice that much difference, in my opinion.

· Socket Man
25,923 Posts
Back when we were using our hunting bows on the 3d courses locally we had the same problem blowing through the older targets, my suggestion to you is to get a 3d specific bow and fat arrows and you will enjoy your 3d shooting much more. The cross over of 3d season and hunting seasons is a problem when you try and use different arrows and it just sucks trying to keep everything ready so in the end a 3d specific bow is the key.

· Socket Man
25,923 Posts
Now if you are going to use 3d specific arrows and are used to shooting over 400 grains then get some gold tip xxx shafts with 120 grain points and they will weigh just over 420 grains and they are a awesome 3d arrow.

· Registered
3,326 Posts
I use goldtip velocity 400 27 " with 100gr up front and razor feathers with a 14% foc and 315 gr .At 62 #.If I changed arrows I would use GT 22 series your draw is 30" and 63# put 100gr up front and 28.5 carbon to carbon some mini blazers and be done with it, good as it gets.

· Registered
11,913 Posts
What class are you shooting? Known or unknown. What is the speed limit where you are shooting? Where I shoot we are allowed to shoot 309fps, I shoot senior unknown to 40. I use Victory HV 29.5" 100 glue in with QAD nocks and 2" razor feathers that I trim down with scissors. I get 15% foc for a total weight of 290g. I am shooting 309 fps with my Edge. at 56 lbs/30" I used to shoot high poundage, but its not necessary with todays bows IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.