Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wandering what you guys think me & another guy got on this debate the other day and of course neither one of us won the fight hahaha but imo i think if u mostly hunt & occasional 3d you should shoot 1 rig to do both no matter the ata as long as your comfortable with what ur shootin... Lets hear your opinions on the subject... thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think a guy should shoot what he likes and is comfortable with. No matter how much it cost and how awsome everybody else thinks it is, if the man doesnt like it or have confidence with it he will never shoot it to his/the bows maximum potential. That said I prefer a bow around 34-36 inches ATA for everything I do. I shoot a pse Phenom now and really have started enjoying it.

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I have a do it all bow in my Elite GT500. 35" ata and IBO around 340. It is smooth and easy drawing and just a pleasure to shoot. I have hunted with it and shot an occasional 3D tourney with it also. For my primary hunting bow, I have a much shorter ata PSE DNA. It is smooth, fast, light, and easy handling. Perfect for hunting out of a treestand. I'm shooting a 3D course with it next weekend, with just my regular hunting equipment on it, nothing else. The GT500 is getting set up primarily for 3D now, but will serve as my backup hunting bow, if I need it. I really prefer the 33-35" bows for a good all around shooting rigs.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ATA is only one of the inter-related factors. It also depends on the design of the riser with respect to amount of reflex/deflex, and the limb angles. Your draw length needs to be considered as well. The parallel and past parallel limb bows have a way different feel. The highly reflexed risers give some impressive arrow speed, but at the cost of a little stability. There are so many bows on the market now that it is hard to draw hard lines between good and bad.

Bottom line is the longer the better in general. It also depends on the kind of hunting you will do. I've shot deer with a 43" Apex out of a tent blind. And I've shot deer with a 66" recurve. You don't NEED a short bow to hunt. But if you're carrying your bow through rough, brushy terrain you'll appreciate a shorter one.

But for me, I'd like something in the 35" to 38" range with a fairly straight riser for my 28" draw length. It comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
I have a do it all bow in my Elite GT500. 35" ata and IBO around 340. It is smooth and easy drawing and just a pleasure to shoot. I have hunted with it and shot an occasional 3D tourney with it also. For my primary hunting bow, I have a much shorter ata PSE DNA. It is smooth, fast, light, and easy handling. Perfect for hunting out of a treestand. I'm shooting a 3D course with it next weekend, with just my regular hunting equipment on it, nothing else. The GT500 is getting set up primarily for 3D now, but will serve as my backup hunting bow, if I need it. I really prefer the 33-35" bows for a good all around shooting rigs.
Enough said. The GT500 rocks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I started out thinking I had to have a longer ATA but after shooting lots of different bows, I choose a short ATA (28 inches). I really wanted the Elite Answer but after shooting it, I just didn't feel the love. So I ended up with a completely different bow. Shoot whatever you like, not what someone else thinks you should shoot.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
i dont feel comfortable shooting bows less than 36" ata, actually i prefer around 40" or so for everything including hunting. i have NEVER wished that i had a shorter bow.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I'm of the mindset that I want archery to be fun. And fun for me is being able to easily shoot accurately and consistently from day to day or scoring round to round. For this reason I prefer a longer bow than most that are marketed for hunting nowadays. I like 36-40" ATA and around the 38" mark seems to be a perfect size for me in regards to fit and overall ease of accuracy for any type of shooting.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Some take their 3D very seriously and some just consider it good hunting practice. Either way is good. Of course you are giving up a great excuse to have two bows !

·
Anti Fanboy
42,757 Posts
I'm of the mindset that I want archery to be fun. And fun for me is being able to easily shoot accurately and consistently from day to day or scoring round to round. For this reason I prefer a longer bow than most that are marketed for hunting nowadays. I like 36-40" ATA and around the 38" mark seems to be a perfect size for me in regards to fit and overall ease of accuracy for any type of shooting.
Wow, someone that actually has some common sense on this matter.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
A good, all-round, do it all bow IMO would be 33-35" ata. I personally have no interest in anything longer than 35" and prefer 30-33". I bowhunt and all my practice sessions are for that reason alone.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
.................After many years of trying this and that I settled on bows in the 35-36 ATA range, they just fit me well and thats what its all about!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts