Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I'm a new archer who just picked up a Hoyt Ultratec with XT3000 limbs (50-60 lb). I'm going to be taking the bow to my local shop in the near future to get it set up but I'm interested to know what accessories I should pick. The shop owner tried previously to sell me hunting gear and doesn't seem to get it when I say I'm far more interested in target shooting, so it's hard to know what gear would be appropriate. I've shot before with someone else's bow however being that I'm on a budget and new to the sport I'm not interested in spending a ton of money. While I'm sure I'll spend exorbitant amounts of cash on Sure Loc sights, etc. if I stick with it- well, you're all shooters so you know this dilemma. What type of sight/rest/etc would you recommend for a new archer with this bow? My hope is to eventually compete in target competitions and 3D. Thanks... below is the set up I'm considering at the moment:

NAP quicktune 1000
Cartel champion sight 8/32 (http://www.bowhuntingoutlet.com/cartel-champion-sight-8-32.html)
Some type of affordable target stabilizers

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,223 Posts
What class do you plan on shooting?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Look at Davis sights. Well built sight for great price. Have to look on eBay for them. Also cartel makes good stabilizers well worth the money.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
For target in freestyle class id spend a little more money and ger a black gold ascent t bar sight and a cheap scope with a pin. Much better quality and not much more money than the cartel sight. For stabilizers id also spend a few more.dollars on a b-stinger competitor in 24" over the cartel since its much stiffer

·
Registered
187 Posts
Pick up a Trophy Taker spring steel in the classifieds for ~50$. That's a very good rest that won't empty your wallet.

Some might say a rest with better containment is easier to learn on... I say just develop good habits from the start...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Some advice. I am a relatively new shooter also (shooting about a year now). Buy used. Be patient and you can find incredible deals on the classifieds here. Don't sink a bunch of money into stabilizers, it is hard to know what setup is going to fit you the best, so no sense sinking $200.00 into a stabilizer and find out it doesn't fit right. Don't skimp on your sights. Don't skimp on your release. Buy crap stabilizers if you want, because it probably won't make a significant difference until you have been shooting a while, at which point you will have had some time to figure out what setup fits you and then you can make a confident investment.

I think your choice in rest is just fine, but I personally prefer a drop-away. There is a ton of discussion about if a fixed rest is going to be more or less accurate than a drop away, but, I just personally find a drop away a bit more convenient.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some advice. I am a relatively new shooter also (shooting about a year now). Buy used. Be patient and you can find incredible deals on the classifieds here. Don't sink a bunch of money into stabilizers, it is hard to know what setup is going to fit you the best, so no sense sinking $200.00 into a stabilizer and find out it doesn't fit right. Don't skimp on your sights. Don't skimp on your release. Buy crap stabilizers if you want, because it probably won't make a significant difference until you have been shooting a while, at which point you will have had some time to figure out what setup fits you and then you can make a confident investment.

I think your choice in rest is just fine, but I personally prefer a drop-away. There is a ton of discussion about if a fixed rest is going to be more or less accurate than a drop away, but, I just personally find a drop away a bit more convenient.
Thanks so much- I had only recently started to cruise the classifieds here and just watching this evening saw a ton of deals. What drop away would you recommend? There's a ton of them out there...

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Rest wise, if your focus is target, go simple... a spring rest has the least number of moving parts. Trophy Taker makes several good ones. A spring does require a bit of precision during draw to keep the arrow on the rest. If you have any concerns, or just want a greater level of safety to reduce the chance of dry-firing, get a drop away rest. The QAD HDX is excellent.

Sight wise, get a sight adjustable for windage and elevation (distance), preferably extended on an arm, and begin with a simple single pin.. no need to get a lens day 1. Used sights are available here and on ebay very often. Look for CBE, Sure-Loc, Axcel, Shibuya, Spot Hogg. Many threads on each one... just search for them.

You'll need a release. A wrist strap release with a trigger is a good place to start, you can get one for $50.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Best way to save money is to go to a tournament and see what everyone is using and what you would like. You also need to learn the difference in classes. The sight and stabilizer will be decided by class. The arrow rest is universal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts