Archery Talk Forum banner

Which most accurately describes your opinion on wind-direction?

• I use scent-masking sprays; am not too concerned about wind...

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I use Scent-Loc suit; wind is a mostly a non-factor for me......

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Wind is critical; I have multiple stands for any possible wind-direction.....

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • I think wind is important, but I only have 1 or 2 stands, so I hope for the best...

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I only have 1 or 2 stands, but will not hunt them if wind is wrong......

Votes: 6 8.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the poll, which statement most accurately describes how you feel about the prevailing wind-direction when treestand hunting whitetails?

(Personally, this was an easy choice for me....the middle one...."wind is critical; multiple stand sites".....)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have multiple stands, and hunt the one that is best for each wind, but it may not be the stand I'd prefer to hunt at the time.

I'm nuts with scent elimination, and have had deer downwind of me and not spook, but you can't expect that every time.

Ruining a good stand location by hunting it in a bad wind is not going to help you get your deer in the long run. Be patient.

I even get out of a stand if the wind changes while I'm hunting. An old deer will look at your stand after catching your scent in it or busting you, every time they pass. I've seen this often, and it's best not to push your luck. I had a doe bust me multiple times, even when the wind was right, because she busted me there once and always looked up after that.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dave-t. said:
I have multiple stands, and hunt the one that is best for each wind, but it may not be the stand I'd prefer to hunt at the time.

I'm nuts with scent elimination, and have had deer downwind of me and not spook, but you can't expect that every time.

Ruining a good stand location by hunting it in a bad wind is not going to help you get your deer in the long run. Be patient.

I even get out of a stand if the wind changes while I'm hunting. An old deer will look at your stand after catching your scent in it or busting you, every time they pass. I've seen this often, and it's best not to push your luck. I had a doe bust me multiple times, even when the wind was right, because she busted me there once and always looked up after that.

Dave,

Hopefully, many new bowhunters out there will read your comments and clue-in to the fact that wind is critical!!

Many newbies are being told by the scent-manufacturers that as long as you use OUR "such-and-such product", you can disregard the wind and do as you please without regard for wind-direction.....

One of the product-peddlers even goes so far as to say in their ads..."Forget the wind....Just Hunt!" :( :embara:

I generously spray-on Scent-Shield head-to-toe myself, but I STILL only hunt stands that are right for the wind!!! Scent-masking sprays may help a little, but that's about it......

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
It drives me nuts when I hear guys say I hunt any wind and don't do anything about my scent and never get winded. So l ask how they "know"they don't get winded. The reply is always I never hear any deer blowing at me. I respond that not all deer call attention to themselves when they wind danger,especially mature bucks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have my own tricks on scent elimination, and have had deer not smell me until well within bow range, even comming from straight down wind, but what are you gaining by running the risk?

If you leave/rest your spots between hunts and don't cause undue scent or disturbance in the area of your stands, the deer will keep using the area, and you will see that deer, or the multiple deer using that area on another day, when there are factors in your favor.

I think one of the biggest parts of being successful throughout the season, is not to tip off the deer. It sounds simple, but most of hunting is when you get right down to it, imo. What's hard, is making sure you're keeping it simple!:confused: ;)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i had to vote "i use scent sprays/not concerned about wind"

because it was the closest answer regarding my hunting area.

i am concerned about wind.

the valley i hunt in; however, at times has drastically changing winds regardless of what the "weathergirl" (sorry mr. buffet) has to say. typically comes from the north or south. other times wind indicator shows massive "swirling". thing i cant figure out is that deer will come from either direction regardless of what thermals are doing down in the valley.

the end result is that deer will be comming from one of two possible directions 75% of the time.

camoham

·
Banned
919 Posts
camoham said:
i had to vote "i use scent sprays/not concerned about wind"

because it was the closest answer regarding my hunting area.

i am concerned about wind.

the valley i hunt in; however, at times has drastically changing winds regardless of what the "weathergirl" (sorry mr. buffet) has to say. typically comes from the north or south. other times wind indicator shows massive "swirling". thing i cant figure out is that deer will come from either direction regardless of what thermals are doing down in the valley.

the end result is that deer will be comming from one of two possible directions 75% of the time.

camoham
I have the same problem!! I do all the scent free stuff and try not to hunt certain winds but there are times when hunting in a valley or around hills that the wind is totally unpredictable. And how do you play the wind when you have a trail to the left and one to the right of the treestand. The wind is ALWAYS blowing in one of those directions!!!!!! They either come into the wind or on the other trail you can't tell where they come from!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Did not vote

I hunt primarily at the base of a mountain / slash hill here in eastern Washington.

The prevailing wind is from the southwest. During the Sept hunt, you can bet you camo undies you will have a southwest until the sun sets - then the cool air off the mountain begins to fall and wa-la you have a north wind.

On any given night the deer may begin moving just before or just after sunset. I do my best - but the bottom line is I go when I can and set my stand the best I can.

I keep my camo hung in a spruce tree all during the hunting season. I pack the camo in a scent-proof bag along with ground spruce balms and then dress after reaching the field.

No doubt - scent is absolute key.. For me, however, the above vote options do not take in consideration my world.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
If you are after a mature buck you better pay strict attention to wind direction.

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I'm hunting in Ohio I have plenty of stand sites, and only hunt one if the wind is right. However, in Arkansas (where I go to college) I only have a couple sites. I didn't have room in my truck to bring my climber down with me, and have had to set up natural ground blinds where I could. I'm just going to be super anal about my scent control, and hope for the best. When I come home for Thanksgiving though....... it's on!

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
The wind swirls where I hunt all day, saving grace is that it swirls up more than it swirls down. I just keep clean and hope it doesn't swirl down low enough to get into a deers nose when a deers nose is actually there.

I used scent controlled clothing and found out for myself that a deer can smell the scent controlled clothing just as readily as the non controlled clothing. Like I say it's a good thing for all of us that the winds usually takes the scent up instead of down. Ain't it.. :mg:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I voted for "wind is critical, I have multiple stands" because I use my climber 98% of the time. I dont necessarily have a lot of hang on stands, or ladder stands set up because they will get stolen on public ground, I have a few, not many. I usually find more then one tree an in area to climb when the wind changes direction on me, so I can still hunt the areas I think the deer will be moving. I use scent sprays as well, a lot of it too.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I know the wind is important but here in my neck of the woods the wind changes directions alot while hunting plus Im in a pretty hilly area so the wind swills alot. In the rut I have had bucks come in from just about every direction to my stands so its hard to say that one wind would be a bad wind. We mostly have a west wind so I set my stands for that wind in most cases and hope for the best. Early season is a little different because the deer are going from bedding to food so its easier to predict where the deer will come from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts