Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I put them in the a pile. Suppose I should have mentioned that. They were scattered around roughly a 50 yrs of the pile I made.
Definitely looks like something got ahold of them and scattered them around a bit.
I did find a few more after i took that picture but nothing major.
Where i found it is not near any cattle or farms. At least not anyone recently that in aware of.

They seemed big so i was confused, even moreso if they are cow based on where I found it

·
The Impartial Archer
22,599 Posts
OP where do you live? That matters if you are in FL they probably aren't elk bones.........lol.....but in CO sure..........they are too big for whitetails so cow or elk would be my guess.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The stout bone is a humerus of either an elk or a moo cow. Probably most likely an elk. But are you sure the forest service doesn't issue cattle grazing leases where you found it? They wouldn't be there year round. It seems that every inch of Forest Service land is grazed by elk or sheep in Colorado during the summer. Maybe Washington is different.

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input. Not saying it's impossible but highly improbable to be a cow if the other option is an elk. That's kind of what i was leaning towards.
Wish me luck im headed back out tomorrow i still need to fill my turky tag im going to go wander some more

·
Registered
I have a 40# recurve bow
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went looking around some more and I saw a small female moose walking around and then I stumbled on another scattered bone pile. I consolidated what I could but they are close to the other little pile I found and look roughly the same big size.

The jaw bones and hip should identify it right? Possibly help with gender too?

Back to more wandering in the forest!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts