Archery Talk Forum banner

What boots would you use for lowland hunting?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Bear Species LD 70# 30” - 650 gr arrows w/ Iron will SB heads - no camo just drab solids
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just getting into bowhunting, and I'm trying to pick out my kit. I've been learning from folks like the Eberharts, the Hunting Beast, Hunting Public, and East Meets West.

I'm planning on bowhunting for whitetail, turkey, and Canada goose on northeastern Massachusetts public land. It'll be mostly suburban(ish) environments and state woodlands/swamps. I may eventually extend up into the white mountains since I know some folks there, but that's not certain yet.

A lot of Northeastern Mass is pretty marshy, so my 7" hiking boots just won't cut it. I've been looking at rubber boots (Alphaburly pro, Irish Setter Mudtrek, Muckboots), but my biggest concern ends up being durability. I don't want to be spending $200 on boots that'll crack/rot in a year, and there are plenty of reviews on most rubber boots that mention exactly that. I've heard of using tall duck boots with a liner, but I'm not really sold on the leather stitching on rubber when I'm a foot deep in water

What boots would you use for public lowland hunts and why?
Does camouflage factor into that decision?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Camo on boots or much of anything for that matter is pointless IMO nothing more than personal preference and not worth the extra price for a pair of boots

This year I purchased a new pair of LaCrosse Burlys to replace my last pair.... That I bought over 10 yrs ago. I cannot image how many hours / days / weeks total those boots have spent afield..... Like anything else, take care of them and they will take care of you.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If you hunt marshes and swamps like me, leathers (tho imo dramatically superior to any rubber), just won't cut it. You'll severely limit the areas you can hunt. Lacrosse Alphaburly imo is the gold standard. I have Gumleaf which are technically superior, but I actually prefer the Burlys over them

·
Huntoholic
1,966 Posts
Lots of good "waterproof" boots out there but for marshy low lands I think you will be better served with a quality pair of rubber boots, if your feet get wet the hunt is over for the most part.

·
The Impartial Archer
20,412 Posts
You can't have one boot that fits every need. If you do that you have to compromise.....no matter what people here say. That's why they make different boots.

If the ground is really wet or you walk in water you want rubber.......if you walk a long ways and only get in water for short times then a more comfortable boot is better.

For me I'd rather have two pairs of lesser expensive "correct" boots than a real expensive pair I try to use for all conditions.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Get a good pair of rubber boots for your type of hunting. LaCrosse Alphaburly Pro is my #1 pick. I've heard great things on the new Mudtreks also.

And no, camo does not play a factor on boots. It will wear off within time on rubber. A good pair of brown rubber boots will hold up nicely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.