Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told by many veteran archers to wear solid rubber boots (like Muck Boots) while hunting to hide scent.
And I do.

But what about in warm weather when those boots are extremely hot?
Bow season here opens Saturday and we will have many days hotter than 85 degrees with 90% humidity over the next few weeks.

I have heard to avoid leather, so what to wear?

Some have said to wear low top hiking shoes that are only worn while hunting.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

The Pack Mule

·
Making it REIGN
3,794 Posts
Go barefoot!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I got the un insulated version of the Irish Setter Rut Master this year.
Wore them hanging stands in 90 degree heat.
Work great.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wear LaCrosse grange non insulated rubber boots. They aren't cool but work. I'm a rice farmer so I wear them daily from May till September. I may just be use to them.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into these.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
irish setter vaper trek for me. my feet sweat so bad in rubber boots that I would think the smell would leak out. plus the are very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have UA trail boots called OPS trainer. its like a high ankle sneaker with great traction, super light weight as well as water resistant so walking through fields your socks stay dry. got them for 45$ at Field and stream so bought 3 pairs

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I wear my Muck "Chore" boots when it's really warm. One pair of socks and they don't get too hot.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I wore nikes last weekend when I killed my buck here in ky......it was 95 degrees.....had deer all over me in every direction for 2 days and never got winded that I know of.......all the rubber boot hype is just walking in and not leaving scent on the ground.....it has nothing to do with once you get in the tree. only thing rubber boots do on stand is create more scent by making your feet sweat and stink.........just wear your sneakers and spray the heck out of them....good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been told by many veteran archers to wear solid rubber boots (like Muck Boots) while hunting to hide scent.
And I do.

But what about in warm weather when those boots are extremely hot?
Bow season here opens Saturday and we will have many days hotter than 85 degrees with 90% humidity over the next few weeks.

I have heard to avoid leather, so what to wear?

Some have said to wear low top hiking shoes that are only worn while hunting.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

The Pack Mule
Muck Boots make at least one un-insulated style. This Florida hunter has been using them for years. Archery in Brevard starts for me in a couple of weeks and it will be 90 degree temps with 90% humidity (just like every day betwen Jul-Sep).

Sometimes I'll just go with my Van slip-ons though - like last year when there was a waist-deep creek to cross on the way to the stand.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sometimes I'll just go with my Van slip-ons though - like last year when there was a waist-deep creek to cross on the way to the stand.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I have thought about just doing some crocs, not socks and shorts.
It was so hot hear last year, I did hunt in shorts.
My legs are hairy like a Sasquatch, so I guess they blended in pretty well....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Irish setter vaprtrek. Feel like a tennis shoe, support like a boot. I turkey hunted with them all spring, putting plenty of miles on them, and couldn't have been happier with their performance.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
On an aside. If a deer is going to smell you, it's not going to be because you didn't wear rubber boots.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If its dry I just wear some hikers. IMO the rubber boots aren't as much to keep your odor in, which they do, but to prevent odors from being picked up. A regular boot absorbs unnatural odors and its not like you can really wash them like your clothes to get them out.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I use 400G LaCrosse Alpha Burly Pros all season. The 400G really doesn't heat my feet up too much in the early season. Late season I add my ThermaCell's and have never been cold.

The LaCrosse's fit my feet the best (I have a narrow foot and size 14). In early season with one pair of thin socks on my feet do not slip at all and in late season with the TC's I don't have to bulk up with lots of thick socks so it works pretty good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts