Archery Talk Forum banner

What bow to buy???

447 Views 13 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  bowtech2006
I am new to the world of archery!
I am looking to buy a bow, but I dont know what I should be looking for, or even what type of questions I should be asking. My draw length is 28.5'', and am probably looking at getting a 60 lb. draw weight. I will mainly be using it to hunt deer, and moose. I am thinking of the Bowtech Captain, or APA Black Mamba MX2. Any info or advice that anyone has to offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,842 Posts
the bowtech admiral and captain are great choices if you're looking for a forgiving/shock-free bow with enough kinetic energy to take down not only deer but moose as well. I have not experienced the apa you speak of so I can't provide no input to that. mathews are quality bows as well as the new hoyt alphamax 32 or 35. If you are partial to bowtech, elite archery offers the new Z-28, GT500 and XLR which all have good brace heights (= forgiveness) as well as smooth draw and shock free shooting. They are priced similar to the bowtech and they are FAST. Actually a former bowtech designer created the elite archery company.

Hope that helps.

· Registered
360 Posts
I shot the Ross Carnivore saturday morning and I highly recommend you go and shoot one yourself. The one I shot was at 29DL and 60lbs, graphed at 296fps with a 370gr. arrow. Its worth a shout out.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
The best advise is to shoot as many as you can get your hands on, see how they feel so you can compare them.

A few questions to keep in mind:

Where will you be hunting? Are you going to have to carry this bow a lot? Remember it will be heavier once its fully set up. If you will be walking through dense woods, you might not want a really long Axle to axle length.

Is the bow quiet? If not, what will it take to make it quiet?

How does the grip feel? A thicker grip will make it easier to torque your bow. Will you be able to hold it the same, each and every time?

How close will you be to the large game? Be sure your bow is capable of a clean kill from whatever distance you expect to be shooting.

How good of a shot are you? A longer axle to axle and a longer brace height will usually be more forgiving.

It's all about personal preference, so don't listen to anyone who tries to sell you on a specific brand. All of the major brands out there make great bows, but it may take some time to find the one that fits you the best.

· Registered
606 Posts
I shoot a Bowtech Commander (Much like the Bowtechs you are looking at) and they are very nice, you would not be disappointed.

I have shot the APA Mamba MX2, and it is a very nice bow as well.

My advise: pick a bow that you think is awesome, for whatever reason. Nearly any bow made by one of the top companies in the last few years will get the job done on deer and moose. So it comes down to personal preference.

One thing to keep in mind; more brace hieght = more forgivness on the shot.

Both bows you mentioned have good brace hieghts, and have a smooth draw cycle with very little hand shock.

Good luck

· Registered
6,098 Posts
If your looking at hunting moose you will want a bow with alot of speed and kinetic energy, The Captain is just that, you couldnt go wrong with the captain. Also you could look in the AT classifieds for a used Bowtech Allegiance or 82nd. They are all 3 of the best shooting bows ive ever shot.

· Registered
3,250 Posts
bow choice

ALL bow co.`s make awesome equip. a single cam is easier to keep in tune, two cams R faster so on + so forth. buy what U like not what someone else shoots. I`d lean towards a good pro-shop suggestion where U can get real help. don`t but mailorder etc. welcome+good luc bob b.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.