Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to introduce my son to the world of shooting a compound bow. Up to now he has just been shooting a small recurve bow but seems to be interested in getting more involved with the sport. I have been to several shops and am thinking about either a Genesis Pro, a Mission Menace or a Bear young Gun. My son is 7 and has a 20 inch draw length. My concern is that I don't want to frustrate him by getting a bow that he will struggle with the draw weight. I like the Young gun and the Menace but as you increase the draw length from the lowest setting up to 20 inches the draw weight must also increase from the minimum. I would like to start him out with a 20 inch draw length and about a 20# draw weight.

Does anyone have any experience with these bows for a child about 7 years old? Which would be my best bet or do you have any other bowsuggestions????

· Registered
1,424 Posts
I know everyone recomends them but I don't like the youth bows with the hugh draw length adjustments. A bow that "grows" with the kid sounds good, but those bows are not as effecient as other bows. I like the Hoyt Trkon Jr, you can get it with 20-30 lb limbs, draw adjustable from 20-22.5 inches. By the time he outgrows that draw length if he is still serious about archery he will be ready for a bigger bow anyway. Whats wrong with getting our kids a new bow every couple of years just like we do for ourselves? I bought both of my boys 3 "youth'' bows before they graduated to full size equipment.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
I have to disagree with that. The Mission Menace is a great shooting bow. It's suprisingly like an adult compound, but scaled down in weight and length. My son improved a lot when he went to it.

I don't mind buying my kids a new bow every now and then.. but as fast as they grow, I would be looking at 3 new bows every 18 months. The Menace is a gerat bow- check it out before dismissing it. Technology has changed a lot.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
I have to disagree with that. The Mission Menace is a great shooting bow. It's suprisingly like an adult compound, but scaled down in weight and length. My son improved a lot when he went to it.

I don't mind buying my kids a new bow every now and then.. but as fast as they grow, I would be looking at 3 new bows every 18 months. The Menace is a gerat bow- check it out before dismissing it. Technology has changed a lot.

They have gotten better but if there was not a trade off draw length would not be an issue for anyone and all of the high end adult bows would go from 24-32 inch draw length or whatever.

· Registered
830 Posts
Another vote for the Nuclear Ice
that bow is sweet -my daughter loves it
I wish they made an adult version

· Registered
127 Posts
All the above are good choices. My son has a Razor Edge dy Diamond. His is 30 to 60 pounds but I believe it comes in a 15 to 30 version also. He loves it and it shoots great....worth a look.

· Registered
2,461 Posts
i will 3rd the diamond nuclear ice . you want to make sure its easy enough for them to shoot or it wont be fun it goes from 14-24" Dl and 9-29# If the kid has a hard time pulling back 20# and can only do it 4-5 times before there tired and not accurate its not fun for them and they will get discouraged easily . Remember people these are supposed to be for young kids not middle aged youngsters , best thing about the Nuclear ice is when its time to sell for a bigger bow you will get darn near all your money back out of it , its set up much like a adult bow but for kids, its very light weight a whopping 2# comes with everything needed and is a very very high quality bow . :thumbs_up

· Registered
30,683 Posts
They have gotten better but if there was not a trade off draw length would not be an issue for anyone and all of the high end adult bows would go from 24-32 inch draw length or whatever.
Again, check out the Menace. It is not restricted like the Razor Edge is. My son is shooting about 20# and a 25" dl. It is a lot more adjustable than others have been.

· Registered
702 Posts
hard to beat a Stacy bow. You can upgrade the limbs and cams from them and it will last into their early teens. I will say though that I perfer to show a kid how to shoot a real bow first, like a longbow or recurve. The knowledge they gain from shooting bare bow will be with them for the rest of their lives and make them better shooters if they go to compounds.

· Registered
368 Posts
I myself highly recommend the Diamond Razor. with a draw adjustment from 19 to 29 inch,and poundage from 30 to 60 pounds you cant go wrong with this silky smooth bow. this is coming from a father who shoots a Bear bow. although the bow has to fit the child, this is the bow that fit my son the best.

· G5 killing machine
4,843 Posts
I have to agree with what was said about the Menace. Its light, and is very adjustable. Was one I was looking at before I picked the bear. I've heard nothing but good things on that bow. From my pro shop to people I know.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the great information. I am leaning towards the Menace, I have a dealer 5 miles from my house that specializes in Mathews bows. I looked up the Nuclear Ice and the closest dealer is over 65 miles away. I called bear today and their bows are not as adjustable as the menace. The guy at bear recomended the Apprentice because it is a 20-50 pound bow but when I asked what the lowest draw weight is when the draw length is adjusted to 20 inches he told me that the lowest draw weight was 30 lbs when adjusted to 20 inches, to much for my 7 yr old son. :shade::shade::shade:

· Registered
233 Posts
I just bought my 7 year old son the Diamond Razor Edge as a Christmas present. I was seriously looking at the Menace, but it didn't seem as heavy duty as the Razor Edge. I bought the 15-29 lb. kit with quiver, hostage rest, and 3 pin site from Bass Pro Shops for $329.00. Once he's ready to go heavier, I can send it to Diamond and they'll change the cams, strings, and limbs to the 30-60 lb. model for $45 plus shipping. Hard to beat! :thumbs_up

· Registered
42 Posts
hard to beat a Stacy bow. You can upgrade the limbs and cams from them and it will last into their early teens. I will say though that I perfer to show a kid how to shoot a real bow first, like a longbow or recurve. The knowledge they gain from shooting bare bow will be with them for the rest of their lives and make them better shooters if they go to compounds.

I agree 100%. My boys want all the goodies, but they had to learn to shoot consistantly without them first. It has really paid off for them too, my 14 y.o. arrowed his first deer this year, just bought him a new Parker Scorpion and my 11 y.o. will be ready to go next season. He shoots good enough now, just needs to get his dw up a little. As for youth bows, I bought the 11 y.o. an Alpine micro elite last year, 18-28" dl, 20-40# dw, 32" ata, 280 f.p.s. IBO. This is a very nice shooting bow for a reasonable price ($170.00) bare bow and will last him another year or two before he outgrows it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.