Archery Talk Forum banner

What bow?

2123 Views 83 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  Skeeter_Eater
Can you guys guide me in the right direction?
I'm looking at spending $800 on a bow, and I want yalls opinions. But with your opinion, I want why. WHY is your bow good? I want reviews is I guess what I'm asking.
I was told that Mathews is just good at selling their product. So unless someone can open my mind up, it's between hoyt and bowtech right now.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Rytera Alain X!!! Finely got to shoot one (buddies) they are very fast, smooth for a twin cam, solid back wall, great feeling valley, very forgiving cause of tall brace hight and the best looking bow of 2009!!!

· Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the price, and can you give me a webpage.
And I'm new to this, so you might want to explain a little, thanks

· Archer
8,693 Posts
Can you guys guide me in the right direction?
I'm looking at spending $800 on a bow, and I want yalls opinions. But with your opinion, I want why. WHY is your bow good? I want reviews is I guess what I'm asking.
I was told that Mathews is just good at selling their product. So unless someone can open my mind up, it's between hoyt and bowtech right now.

Honestly, whoever told you Mathews is all marketing and no substance is full of crap.

There are a ton of really good bows available right now by a bunch of manufacturers, so no matter what you want in a bow or what you'll use it for you'll be able to find a good one. Mathews, Elite, Hoyt, Bowtech and a lot of other manufacturers make very high quality bows.

You really have to shoot them yourself to know what you will like the best, and it would help to know what you will mainly use the bow for. For hunting bows I would look at the Mathews DXT and HyperLite, the Elite GT500 and Z28, and the Hoyt AM32 and AM35. But this is just a start of a potentially long list.

Good luck.

· Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess what i really need is a pro shop to has everything thats really willing to help me out. I do want to shoot a few bows, but i need to go to somewhere where they will let me. Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going elk hunting in colorado. And since I'll be bow hunting now, I'll go deer hunting and pig hunting.

· Archer
8,693 Posts
I'm going elk hunting in colorado. And since I'll be bow hunting now, I'll go deer hunting and pig hunting.

The Elite GT500 will give you the smooth draw and generous brace height you will like for a hunting bow, but at the same time it will turn out more than enough fps to give you a good rig for your elk hunt.

I'm shooting a Mathews Switchback XT right now, but if I was going to buy a new bow it would be the GT500.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Do you happen to know of any dealers around the Tyler, Texas area?
Sorry got busy for a bit! had to go watch my boys win the district b-ball title!!!

Most any Martin dealer will get u the Alain...Rytera is owned by Martin!

· Registered
341 Posts
The reason Mathews is good at selling their product is because they sell a good product. I have tried Hoyt, PSE and Bowtech and not one of them was as smooth to draw as a Mathews. I settled on the S2 after shooting the DXT for a year. The longer ATA of the S2 at 33" over the DXT at 29 3/4 made a big difference on longer shots for me. If you are going elk hunting you could possibly be making some longer shots than normal deer hunting. Try them all, but don't rule out the Mathews line - especially the S2. It is possibly the best hunting bow Mathews has ever made.

· Registered
4,056 Posts
I like Hoyt. reasons are as follows, Tough, well balanced, very accurate, #1 in customer service. Hoyt has delivered year after year with High quality. I want the very best in equipment in the momment of truth, rather that is during a tournment or in the woods.

· Registered
552 Posts
Don't leave out PSE, they offer a lot of really nice bows as do other manufacturers. PSE also has their solo cam line this year as well

· Registered
1,876 Posts
There are so many great bows out there go shoot as many as you can to see which one fits you best. You won't go wrong with any bow that feels good to you at any price. I loved the Captain and the Mathews Rezeen. I have not shot the Alphamax but I want to. Also if you are only going to spend 800 total look at Parker.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.