Archery Talk Forum banner

What brace height should I aim for?

443 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  somerandomd00d
I have a fleetwood monarch takedown 54” recurve, 25#, 26” draw length if that matters. The string came off of my bow and uncoiled, so now I need to twist the string and make sure it’s at the right tension and positioned correctly when I put it back on. I tried contacting the manufacturer to ask what the brace height should be, but I can’t get in touch with them. Is there some guide on measuring brace height and actual draw weight? I have one of those string rulers and there are nocking points on it, I just don’t know what to measure it at.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

P.S. any tips on twisting the bow string are also appreciated, if you’ve got ‘em. When I twist it, it looks kinda bumpy 😬
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10,514 Posts
Don't have a "number" for you, but you could tune the brace to your poundage and arrow weight. Start where ever you are now, shoot a few arrows and then add a few twists. Repeat the process and you should come to a point where the bow becomes noticeably quieter, then if you continue it starts to become noisier again... That quietest point is generally the best brace tune for your set up. It would still be good to have the manufacturer's recommended range, but being a little above/below recommended won't kill the bow.

· Registered
23,004 Posts
Try twisting it in the other direction & see if the bumps go away. Would try from 6.5 to 7.5 BH. Try going by sound of the shot.

· Registered
324 Posts
A good rule of thumb for recurve brace height, is to raise it until you just see a bit of the string groove- where the string leaves contact with the limb. I would guess that will be somewhere around 7 1/2" on your bow. Fel free to PM me if you need help. I've been shooting recurves for 32 years

1 - 7 of 7 Posts