Archery Talk Forum banner

What caliber handgun do you carry when bowhunting (WHERE LEGAL)

Votes: 44 22.4%

Votes: 5 2.6%

Votes: 24 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 123 62.8%
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand a lot of places don't allow you to carry, so if you hunt in one of those areas, no need to post, "I wouldn't, it's illegal." We get that. ;)

But for those who CAN carry, what do you carry? I got the Elknut Play Book and was reading it and it looks like he carries a .357. I am wanting to do my first CO elk hunt this year, and I am in the market for a large cal. revolver anyone, so I wanted to see what everyone carries.

If you vote on the poll, tell us what gun it is too. :tongue:

· Registered
7,438 Posts
45 colt or 45 acp for me

· Registered
10,965 Posts
.45 for me too.:wink:

· Yooper / Marauder
750 Posts
Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag is what I carry here

For a backpacking hunt I would probably bring my Buckmark 22 as a "survival" weapon to take small game along with pepper spray for bear protection.

· Registered
3,415 Posts
After having an Uncle get stalked by 2 cougars and numerous run ins with bears, I won't go without a pistol. And from experience, I can tell you that a .357 is not enough for black bears. A .41 mag would work, I won't be without a .44 mag.

· Registered
656 Posts
I carry my Ruger SP 101 .357 with a Crimson Trace laser grip. Here in Indiana I'm more concerned with two-legged morons rather than large predators. I'd carry a .44 Mag for the larger four legged predators.:wink:

· Registered
1,194 Posts
.45 Glock with +P ammo (makes it essentially a .45Mag) VERY effective if you need it on most any target. Not sure I would consider it a great gun or caliber for Grizzly, but then, what hand gun (that is a side arm vs. primary) is?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.