Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to attempt to shoot some coyotes that have been hanging around. I'm in central Minnesota and it's Spring so I'm not sure exactly what calls I should be using. I have an Icotec G500 call with 200 calls and the tail wagger attachment.

My friend says he does 2 sits a night and starts 2 hours before end of daylight. He says the last two hours in the evening and morning are most productive. I'd only be doing 1 sit near my house so perhaps just the last hour at my place?

What calls should I use?

·
Registered
15,104 Posts
My last two were between 12-1 pm.
Called in with young raccoon distress.

The one before that, 9:30ish with the same call.

I personally don't care for the last/first hour of light.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
in for replies. i have a few i need to kill as well

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I would open with a non threatening howl 20 min before dark. Set up so the coyote can swing down wind of the call without getting down wind of you. You want him to expose himself getting down wind. Female breeding sounds will probably still be effective. Depending on terrain expect the coyote to come out and take a look and possibly retreat if he doesn't see or smell what he likes. Most shots seem to be in the 125 yard area. You can incorporate some fox, rabbit or bird distress in along with pup distress and coyote fox fight or coyote fight. Don't be afraid to play some stuff that seems to be a bit much to a reasoning human. Curiosity can bring them out. If he's coming don't turn the call off, forget about it and concentrate on making a shot happen. Remember to always start with a variable power scope all the way down. If he is far enough out to need zoom there will be time......no time to turn it down if he is in your lap. Atleast 90% will come in downwind and most won't come if they can't get some wind. Don't over think your sounds or volume or length of time played. Mind your wind! Take your time and dont zero too high at 100. Most misses are shooting over them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would open with a non threatening howl 20 min before dark. Set up so the coyote can swing down wind of the call without getting down wind of you. You want him to expose himself getting down wind. Female breeding sounds will probably still be effective. Depending on terrain expect the coyote to come out and take a look and possibly retreat if he doesn't see or smell what he likes. Most shots seem to be in the 125 yard area. You can incorporate some fox, rabbit or bird distress in along with pup distress and coyote fox fight or coyote fight. Don't be afraid to play some stuff that seems to be a bit much to a reasoning human. Curiosity can bring them out. If he's coming don't turn the call off, forget about it and concentrate on making a shot happen. Remember to always start with a variable power scope all the way down. If he is far enough out to need zoom there will be time......no time to turn it down if he is in your lap. Atleast 90% will come in downwind and most won't come if they can't get some wind. Don't over think your sounds or volume or length of time played. Mind your wind! Take your time and dont zero too high at 100. Most misses are shooting over them.

Is there a specific name for a non-threatening howl?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Coyote pup in distress is a good one. Anything you don’t think everyone else is using. Don’t think I could buy one with rabbit distress call anymore.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Pup howls or female howls in general. Just dont play old male etc. Fenale invitation howl, yodel howl or long howl will work. Rule of thumb is never leave a stand without playing pup distress. Stay away from challenge barks and howls unless they are challenging you. I'm more familiar with the names of foxpro and luckyduck sound names.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coyote pup in distress is a good one. Anything you don’t think everyone else is using. Don’t think I could buy one with rabbit distress call anymore.

And I'm assuming start low volume and work up?

Why wouldn't you get a rabbit distress one?

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Everyone one used to use rabbit distress which means that's what most coyotes heard before a bullet whizzed by them. They learn fast and might know that sound means trouble again lol. Just call at what seems to be a realistic volume then after a bit a bit louder to reach put farther if need be.
Foxpro pup distress #3 has probably been played more than any sound ever. Always good to try a new sound or two.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I found in my limited time that even though you didn't see one , one still snuck in , maybe saw me or winded me. Pup distress has worked for me but as stated earlier they learn quick and after that can't be easily fooled. Rabbit distress is played by everyone , my buddie swears by female howls.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
And I'm assuming start low volume and work up?

Why wouldn't you get a rabbit distress one?
Yes, always start low volume. As stated, everyone and their brother uses rabbit. They learn fast. Fox pup is good. Woodpecker, even house cat. Point is, you need to mix it up.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
This time of year I start with mating calls.

I always end the set with pups in distress

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Interesting. No other animal calls?

What is the best times?
If I'm strictly targeting yotes. This time of year I only use mating sets. Not saying others don't/won't work but I prefer mating.

I typically don't call at sunrise or sunset.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I'm strictly targeting yotes. This time of year I only use mating sets. Not saying others don't/won't work but I prefer mating.

I typically don't call at sunrise or sunset.

So you do hunt sunrise and sunset but you don't use calls? Or you don't hunt those times at all?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Tough calling yotes in central MN. I always poached the road kills. They don't respond to calls like other states. Not a bad time of year to call but Jan Feb better. Colder the better.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tough calling yotes in central MN. I always poached the road kills. They don't respond to calls like other states. Not a bad time of year to call but Jan Feb better. Colder the better.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It would be nice to do that.....ironically haven't seen any road kills lately.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts