Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered that I like Mike Whalen's Hooker release... a lot...

This is on an OK Archery Absolute 35 bow (my FOREVER bow. Hands down, the most accurate, easiest to shoot, and quietest - but more on that later) using Gold Tip Vel. Pro 300 arrows with 130grains up front (125 tip 10 insert).

At 30yds, as this was me putting on and using the Hooker for the first time. This isn't my first group, but none of my groups were bad, they just weren't 'wow'. I got used to the dramatic change in anchor from my beloved Stan Element and overcoming the sheer terror of using the Hooker (yes, I'm big on having teeth) and after realizing that I'm a total pu**y for being scared and letting the release get a little warmer group by group I settled on what felt good -safe and easy to fire. here's what I got... I get it, not the best in the world, not even in bullseye (I'm still tuning the bow, playing with different releases, rests etc) but damn... after 30mins...

The release is demanding on your index finger. One finger pull-ups are now within reach, but the simplicity of this thing yields, it would seem, amazing consistency. It's not nearly as frightening to use as I thought and was actually pretty confidence inspiring once I realized the design of the thumb 'bump' could be used to pinch the release and ensure safety on the draw.

I still use back tension to hold the bow back and pull through while rotating the release. The release DOES make the bow move - both backwards into your bow hand and slightly, to the right - I shot right anyway (the pic's pivoted....) but I suspect that will be mitigated if I make the release a little hotter. I'm using regular BCY D-loop material, I've not tried Hooker's one D-Loop material.

I used the Brass Monkey, I'm very curious about the pinwheel, but can't say I'm suffering any buyer's remorse.

To be honest, if I keep getting this level of consistency, Whalen should be owning the market and going into arrow supplies business as well...

Cheers!

Attachments

· Registered
10,397 Posts
I shot the Hooked really well but the handle just didn't fit me good and hurt my index finger after a few shots. This is the only release that has ever caused pain in my finger. Wish they would make a more ergonomic handle.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shot the Hooked really well but the handle just didn't fit me good and hurt my index finger after a few shots. This is the only release that has ever caused pain in my finger. Wish they would make a more ergonomic handle.
I know what you mean. However, I experimented and found a way to have my finger flush with the ring and using my thump to pinch the release rather than wrap around the stump (which causes the release to pivot downwards and the edge to dig into your finger) the pain was gone and felt much more comfortable.

· Back Yard Champion
35,959 Posts
I have two Pin Wheel Hookers, a 2 finger and a 3 finger. Like noted, and having a injury to my index finger, my index finger does get to ouching after a few shots. I believe Mike now supplies the longer hook set screw like the 3 finger.

The Pin Wheels are far slicker than the Hooker. About like greased lightening...

I have them up for sale, but not really caring if I sell them. There's no wear on these releases, it's the flash making it look so.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.