Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says. After about 3-5 seconds the pins and the target blur. I'm right eye dominate and shoot right handed so that's not it.

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,802 Posts
Sounds like target panic to me.... Does it happen when you shoot a gun (assuming you do that)?

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
i dont think its TP so much as most peoples eyes cant focus for that long especially with archery cuz you have peep pin scope and target to try to look at...even if you think you are just looking at the target your eyes have so much else to see...

looking through a rifle scope is much easier cuz your eye is so close to the scope

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Just like the title says. After about 3-5 seconds the pins and the target blur. I'm right eye dominate and shoot right handed so that's not it.
Maybe day dreaming about hot women. that is what makes my vision blury :wink:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I normally don't shoot rifles without a scope so that comparision won't work. And in theory if the shotgun fits you correctly you should never see the bead, just the duck, clay, pheasant, etc. I've dropped my draw weight by 5 pounds and it has made no difference. It actually feels like some form of eye strain.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
I've experienced kind of what you're talking about when I was messing with my anchor to see what felt best and had my peep too low. It puts your head in the wrong angle or something and it's like you start seeing double or something after a few seconds, as crazy as it sounds.

·
SuperToon'd
11,530 Posts
Adult a.d.d .......................:darkbeer: J/K Do you have your peep tied in with two starnds or three?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
By any chance are you holding your breat as you aim ?
Breath, and do not hold your breath.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Are you trying to keep BOTH in focus?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I normally don't shoot rifles without a scope so that comparision won't work. And in theory if the shotgun fits you correctly you should never see the bead, just the duck, clay, pheasant, etc. I've dropped my draw weight by 5 pounds and it has made no difference. It actually feels like some form of eye strain.
I have had this experiance when i am shooting my bow. I lowered my peep that helped out a little. also I thought that my eyes just needed to be checked (might not be a bad idea turns out i have an astigmatism in both eyes :shade:) but last archery season it happend alot when i got "buck Fever" my eyes would blur when i was at full draw and trying to foucs on where my pin should go on the animal. I would just relax and try using your "periferal vison" get your target in sight in the sight of your peep and pin then look at your pin and if its in the general area of where you wana shoot then release. hey and if im wrong for you it was worh a try ....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've had the same problem as well. I have better than 20/20 vision according to the doc with no issues at all regarding depth perception or focus. The issue (at least with me) was tied to trying to focus on both the target/animal and the correct pin at the same time. Essentially, your eyes just get tired from trying to do both at the same time and start to blur. If you close your eyes for a sec, take a deep breath, and then reopen them, and the blurriness goes away almost immediately, I would assume it's probably the same problem for you. Good luck figuring it out! The human body is such a mystery, lol.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I agree with the guy that said to breathe. Not enough oxygen in the bloodstream will cause the eyes to blur. Don't hold your breath...:darkbeer:
Also, I usually just focus on the target/animal and let the pin blur a little...tough to focus on both at the same time. Goodluck...:darkbeer:

orlybow:)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly I have no idea if I breath or not. I'll have to check that. I always concentrate my focus on the target more than the pin but I need to be able to 'see' both. I had the wife check out my form and she thinks I'm bending/tilting my head too much to the side. Maybe my peep location is way off and screwing with my form overall. I'm heading to the b.shop tomorrow anyway so I'll experiment with peep locations.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You really don't need to see both the pin and the target. That is just what you think. If you focus on the target and really burn a hole in the spot you want to hit, your brain will put the pin there all by itself. Lots of target shooters use a lens with no aiming dot. Center the sight housing in the peep, and the target in the center of the sight, and then aim, aim, aim, shot goes off and arrow is in the middle. Works everytime.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Reality is that you don't focus on the pin or the target, but somewhere in between, so the farther away the target is the less you can focus both. I shoot best when I can't see either one clearly. I can totally settle in and my peripheal vision takes care of seeing both the pin and the target so to speak. If I try to focus on one or the other I lose the ability to see the other and panic starts to set in. So I purposely allow neither to fully focus and it allows me to shoot very very well. Another thing I have noticed in years and years of shooting is that if my mind starts to wander to form instead of aiming, then I lose focus of all the above. Don't know if this is what you are experiencing but that is how it is for me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help and ideas. Bwlacy, you said that target shooters sometimes use a lens with no aiming dot, I use three pins. I understand how that would work with a lens but how can I apply that to a standard fiber optic three pin sight (Vital Gear Pinhead)?

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
It is impossible for the eye to focus on both the pin and the target if there is an appreciable distance between the 2...it's solely a matter of physics. If you are bouncing between both the pin and the target, then you are speaking of a process called accommodation. The older you get the slower this process is...it will also vary with light conditions also.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Breathing is the first thing I thought of, but one outside possibility to check is your blood sugar. I'm Type 2 diabetic, and if my sugar is high, really high, I have difficulty holding focus. No medical research to back it up, just personal observation, but it might be something to consider.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
It is impossible for the eye to focus on both the pin and the target if there is an appreciable distance between the 2...it's solely a matter of physics. If you are bouncing between both the pin and the target, then you are speaking of a process called accommodation. The older you get the slower this process is...it will also vary with light conditions also.
What he said. X2

Myself, I focus on the target, the spot I want the arrow to hit to be exact, and let the pin blur. Some people focus on the pin and let the target blur, this never seemed to work very good for me. Try both ways(or Doc's accommodation) and use the one that works best for you.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Aiming is overrated

Aiming is way over rated, look at the spot you want to hit and you will put the arrow there everytime. Our archery coach will actually turn the lights out so that you can't see your pin or just barely and have us shoot lighted candles at 20 yds. The object is to split the wick and put the flame out. It is really quite amazing how un important aiming actually is.Put your pin on the target and look right past it at the spot you want to hit. I really do not even see the pin when shooting. Your eyes and your sub concious will center everything for you! Trying to hold a pin in the exact position you want to hit is way to much work and becomes an action of timing the shot when the pin is in the middle. Sure road to target panic and punching the trigger. I also shoot pins no smaller than.029" and usually shoot.039 for 3-d and will actually shoot a .060'' for spots. Give it a try and let that pin fade out and float around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts