Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a brand new Blob target guys, just picked it up this weekend, and I'm getting ready to paint some round bullseye spots on it.
Now this new Blob is GREY in color. Almost like a battleship grey, maybe just a tad bit lighter shade of grey than standard battleship grey.
SO, anyhow. Couple of questions for you guys who have done this before:

1. WHAT COLOR spots/bullseyes do you prefer? I USED to prefer white round bullseyes/spots, BUT since my arrow wraps and Blazer vanes are white, I have decided that I no longer want white bullseye spots, since it's so hard to see where my arrows are impacting the target at longer distances. The "white on white" just makes it difficult to see where the arrow has impacted.
SO, what color would you guys say? I have used bright flo orange before, and I don't really like that either. I'm honestly thinking that BLACK (like the new "Block" targets have) would be best. Anyone else agree/disagree?

2. Has anyone ever found anything that works BETTER than standard spray paint for painting these bullseye spots on our archery foam targets???

I have always used standard spray paint, but thought I'd check to see if there is anything better, before I proceed???
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Ever since I started shooting field archery back in the early 70's I've found that the NFAA Hunter face with a white bull on an all black target draws my attention better. I don't really worry much about seeing where the arrow is on the target after the hit. I try to concentrate on the aiming and have faith in my ability. The arrow should impact where my sight was when the bow went off.

If using white nocks and/or fletching and I can't see it I would assume that it's where it should be. But then a binocular is always handy to check this out. Besides, it gives me a little longer break between shots to just grab the Swarovski and take a look.

That being said I do all my shooting at Morrell Outdoor Range bags at my archery club. It's only 6 miles from my house so I have no need of a target at my house. The bag is mostly white with black dots and I just don't concentrate well on this; thus the added black target.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
I painted black spot's on my Blob, but now and then I will take a piece of cardboard and paint spot's on it so that I'm not hitting the same place all the time, spreading it around:wink:

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
I prefer the standard indoor target. Blue face, white X-ring. Maybe it's my imagination but I seem to shoot better at that target.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fluorescent colored post-it notes
WHAT? :eek:

You can't be serious. Those Post It notes have a tiny little THIN strip of adhesive that don't last but a few shots at most.
Secondly, I have much experience using ALL kinds of FULL adhesive backed stickers, and bullseyes (sold for sighting in guns mostly), and despite these types of bullseye stickers having 100% MORE adhesive area on the back, these things STILL last ONLY a few shots before soon falling off to the ground, and annoying the piss out of me, and anyone else who uses them.
Hey, I'm not bashing your style if that's what you prefer, but to say that Post It notes would even come CLOSE to being a "better" alternative to spray paint, is just totally incorrect in every aspect possible.
You do realize that spray painted spots/bullseyes will last for hundreds, if not thousands of shots don't you? You also realize that Post It notes just fall off after a few shots don't you?
As I said, if that's what you like, cool bro. Nothing wrong with using Post It notes at all. However, that suggestion doesn't even come close to comparing to spray paint. Some things are just fact, and not opinion. Such as in this case.
I guess I just never cease to be amazed at some of the suggestions I see on this forum. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm always open to any and all ideas...

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
it is possible he tapes them on :wink:

WHAT? :eek:

You can't be serious. Those Post It notes have a tiny little THIN strip of adhesive that don't last but a few shots at most.
Secondly, I have much experience using ALL kinds of FULL adhesive backed stickers, and bullseyes (sold for sighting in guns mostly), and despite these types of bullseye stickers having 100% MORE adhesive area on the back, these things STILL last ONLY a few shots before soon falling off to the ground, and annoying the piss out of me, and anyone else who uses them.
Hey, I'm not bashing your style if that's what you prefer, but to recommend Post It notes with their tiny, THIN little adhesive "strips" on the back, certainly has absolutely zero potential to EVER being a better alternative to spray paint.
You do realize that spray painted spots/bullseyes will last for hundreds, if not thousands of shots don't you?
As I said, if that's what you like, cool bro. Nothing wrong with using Post It notes at all. However, that suggestion doesn't even come close to comparing to spray paint. Some things are just fact, and not opinion. Such as in this case.
I guess I just never cease to be amazed at some of the suggestions I see on this forum. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm always open to any and all ideas...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is possible he tapes them on :wink:
Sure. Anything is possible. Is it likely that someone would so conveniently forget to mention something of that much importance? Not likely, but possible.
If that were indeed the case, then there would have been absolutely zero need to use (much less MENTION) "Post It Notes". (because this leads someone to believe that you are relying SOLELY upon the tiny adhesive backing to hold it to the target).
Further, IF that were the case, it would likely have just been recommended to use "paper spots/bullseyes taped to the target".
Of course, my mind might work much differently than everyone elses. I'm a simple man. Say what I mean, mean what I say. LOL.

Also, and most importantly, this too would not even come close to being a "better alternative" than spray painting.
As was stated, most any "adhesive backed" spot/bullseye or tape, just doesn't even come close to having the lifespan of a spray painted spot/bullseye, which, as stated, lasts for hundreds, if not thousands of shots, and cannot, and will not ever come off - (until actually WORN off, or physically removed with chemicals).

As stated, to each his own, and I appreciate any and ALL recommendations. I just have to firmly disagree, and show that NO adhesive backed paper is going to ever be a better alternative than spray paint.

I suppose a possible bit of confusion could have come from my lack of defining just what constitutes a "better alternative" to spray paint. I just assumed this was quite obvious to all, and did not warrant an explanation. Again, my fault.
SO, with that said.... (drum roll please).....

"Better Alternative" = Lasts LONGER THAN, IS MORE DURABLE THAN, and/or WORKS BETTER THAN a spray painted spot/bullseye....

A

·
0 Posts
black works fine for me, my pins show up great on them and since i have green CX nocks, the glow like crazy against the black from where i am shooting from

1 - 10 of 10 Posts