Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to wash my clothes in scent free stuff and leave them in a container until I use them. I don't have Scent lok (although it's supposed to be scent free, but I don't put my trust in it) and I don't want a Scent Lok bag because again I don't want to spend the unneccesary money. Is a large plastic container alright or too smelly? LABELED trash bag? I'm open for ideas.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My regiment is to wash my clothing when I take it out of storage. I store over the winter and summer in plastic lawn and leaf bags and then inside a rubbermaid tote large enough for it all.
I run my washer once on as hot a setting as I can whle its empty, also pouring boiling water inside the bleach holder, faberic softener dispenser, etc the clean them out.
I then wash in cold/cold with everything inside out and then again in cold/cold with no sopa for a good rinsing.
I line dry them outside for about 2 or 3 weeks. Still inside out to protect the color from the sun.
I like to have my stuff rained on at least once then air dried again.
Then back into lawn and leaf bags tied shut if its rainy out siode during the hunting season.
I try to keep my clothing outside being air dried as much as possible even after daily use.
I do not use nor believe scent lok stuff works.
This has work very well for me over the past 17 years.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I use:

Dry bags (bought at Bass Pro)
Those extra, extra large zip lock bags
Igloo ice chest with weather strip around top
Rubbermaid "Tough Tote" (I think that is what they are called)

...oh yea, I put fresh earth scent wafers in the containers too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I put my clothes in the XXL Ziploc bags. Everyone says put your clothes in a rubbermaid tub, but I can't find one that is airtight. I tried putting weatherstripping around the lip but that didn't work. Thinking about putting my Ziplocced clothes in a cooler...I'm pretty anal about my clothes.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I used trash bags and cardboard shipping drums for a long time and that worked well. Now it's the 2xl ziploc bags. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Wash my stuf, hang it in the tree for a couple weeks (its out there right now), place in scent lok and/or Tinks scent free bag, then place in rubbermaid tote..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
What ever you use make sure that your clothes are super dry before you seal them up. My buddy washed and dried his caom last year and put them in a giant zip-lock for about a week and got them out opening morning and found they were molded. We where 20 miles from town and he had to burn a day of hunting to do laundry. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I use a tote. I am down right stupid when it comes to sent control. (just ask the wife) What I did was took clear packing tape covered all the holes in the handle. I then took the expandable insulation foam and filled in the handles. For the lid I took 4" wide 1/8" thick adhesive rubber insulation trim to fit. The lid still locks in place but I also take 2 pungee cords across the lid from handle to handle. If I took you where I stored my tote you wouldn't know what was in it untill I opened it and the smell of fresh dirt hit your nose ( just ask the wife). Oh and my tote is large enough to hold all of my gear that I will use for the entire season. Except treestand and bow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use the ziplock bags or the big stroage bags. Then I keep the bags inside a cooler w/ weather stripping and a bungee cord across the lid to keep it down.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Ziplocks from Wal-mart put a couple of Dirt scent wafers in their and good to go.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I've been thinking about trying those Space Saver bags. The ones that you use the vacuum to suck all the air out of. I don't know if it would do any good to take out the air but they are a super heavy duty bag and they seal really well. I'll let everyone know how it works once I try it.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
i also use the rubbermaid container and lock down the handles, it seems to work well...with branches and leaves stuffed in the bottom so everything smells like dirt.

·
Registered
447 Posts
make sure you wash out the zip-lock or trash bags with cold water and hang outside to dry. They do have a plastic smell. I bought some yrs ago that were 2 feet x 3 feet. Still use 'em, work great.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm a trapper in addition to being a bowhunter. I store my clean, waxed traps that I use for coyote and fox in rubbermaid totes, with cedar branches or shavings. A coyote's nose is pretty darn good and maybe better than that of a whitetails. I have yet to have a dug up trap using this method of scent control. I store my hunting clothes the same way, except I don't wax them after they've been washed.:wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts