Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I have been shooting quite a bit, but we just recently started video taping each other. I have very little experience tuning a bow as I usually let the pro shop do it, but I am wanting to learn. Anyway, as the arrow leaves my sons bow the tail drops. He is shooting with a release, and the rest is a whisker biscuit. I can't see where the fletchings are hitting anything. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If it is a dual cam it is probably a little out of time. Just a little though. His nock could be low. The tiller could be adjusted by backing out the lower limb a little. I personally, wouldn't worry about it. IMO, the WB is not very tuneable.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a Diamond Rascal solo cam bow. I cranked the limbs down all the way last night, and it is the first that we noticed the arrow dropping at the fletching end like that. You mentioned backing out the bottom limb. Would this be something you would try?

Thanks

·
Dad, Husband, Hunter
2,993 Posts
Sounds like

I would say your knock might have moved done. I would start there and see what happens. Remember a slight move of the knock will make a big change. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look at the nock location also tonight. thanks

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
greenhead3 said:
It is a Diamond Rascal solo cam bow. I cranked the limbs down all the way last night, and it is the first that we noticed the arrow dropping at the fletching end like that. You mentioned backing out the bottom limb. Would this be something you would try?

Thanks
This is what is called tiller adjustment. Now, it is not uncommon for some shooter to adjust the tiller. It is about the only way on a single cam to change the "timing". The nock is either too low or the lower limb is stronger than the top and it is pulling the nock down.

The real use of the tiller adjustment is more for hold. If you can't get the bow to balance in you hand right at full draw, some people will loosen up one of the limbs to produce a better hold for them.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am feeling better about the problem now. I will check the nock location tonight, but from what I am gathering I am leaning towards a limb issue. I wish I would have videotaped the arrow flight before adjusting the draw weight! The arrow seemed to fly really nice before the adjustment. I appreciate all of the help.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Is the distance from the base of the limbs to the string the same for the top and bottom limb? If so, the tiller is probably not the problem.

I concur that the problem is probably nock location. But even on a single cam there can be timing or cam sync problems.

www.lawleroutdoors.com had a great article on tuning and timing a single cam bow, but they have dummied it up and it now only talks about Mathews and Ross bows. Still, check it out and see how it works for Dartons?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will measure the distance from the base of the limbs to the string tonight. We have a large set of calipers here at work I will take with me.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
You probably don't need the calipers...just use a bow square.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I hate to admit it, but I do not have a bow square. I need/want to get more into the tuning end of archery and not just shoot. I have always been confortable with a 3" group, but with my son getting into it I want to put more time into all aspects of archery.

With that being said, what type of tools will I need? fletching jig, bow square, ect......

·
Registered
381 Posts
also you may want to check to make sure the arrows are set with the cock fletch up ...the wb has harder bristles on the bottom and can cause the same issue :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropzone2006 said:
also you may want to check to make sure the arrows are set with the cock fletch up ...the wb has harder bristles on the bottom and can cause the same issue :darkbeer:
I just looked at the video in slow motion and the cock fletch is down. I will have him shoot with the cock fletch up tonight also. thanks!

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Basic Tools:
Bow Square
Allen Wrenches
Serving
Lighter
Knife
D loop Material
nock pliers
22 caliber cleaning brush (I use it in my .246 diameter carbon arrows before installing inserts).
Needle nose Pliers

Bench top Vise and Old Stabilizer (I use these together to work like a bow vice at the moment)

Bow press. I think the ratchet lock may be the way to go. I built my own, but after the investment in materials and the time, I would have been better off buying one. The Toad looks sweet and then there is the X Press...thats a lot of dough, but if your sone is interested and you get any other family interested, you will be saving that money from the shop in no time.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dropzone2006 said:
I had the local pro shop check the nock point and it looked fine. I had him shoot it with the cock fletch up and there were no problems. I appreciate all of the input, so now I know what to check. thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts