Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys,
I think I've decided to make a mock scrape or two this year. Something I've been dying to try out.

I plan to try and keep it simple really. (Is there any other way?)
I guess the best thing to do, is just spray a boot down with scent killer spray (and I mean spray it down GOOD), and then work a little scrape in the ground with my boot.
Then, hang some buck piss over the top of it, and maybe hit it with some female estrus urine every now and then?? Another plus would be some tarsal gland on an overhanging licking branch... ???
Does this sound correct?

I was wondering if I should buy a couple of those drip bottles/bladders that we've all seen at Walmart for years.????
IS there a specific brand drip bottle/bladder that is most recommended for this??

What do you guys recommend I use???

Any tips appreciated...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well, I see your post is slipping back without anyone answering so I'll take a shot. First, do some searches on here. There's lots of good info. Second, I'd use a stick to scrape the ground not my boot. No sense rubbing your scent into the dirt. I think Jackies instant scrape powder is great for starting scrapes but Hawg's PPR is also top shelf. Make sure there's an overhanging branch 5 or 6 feet off the ground, hanging downward over the spot you pick. Treat the overhanging branch with a licking branch scent. I like jackies again. His licking branch scent has worked real well for me in the past. Get it into the nocks and crannies so the first buck to come along doesn't wipe it all off. Make a number of them in different areas and see which ones the bucks start tending. I avoid field edges. It seems they mostly get hit at night. Try closer to the bedding areas. Staging areas are also good for daylight activity. Add rutting buck scents around mid-October and once the chase shows any sign of starting, then switch to estrus scents. James Valley scents are hard to beat for those two stages. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Wear latex gloves to make your scrapes and when you freshen them...Use a stick to make the scrape (not your boot)...Break a limb above it as a visual sign and then use buck urine in the scrape...I like to use gel scents placed on a stick with a leaf pressed on top of it...This seems to keep the scent from drying out so rapidly in the air...Freshen the scrapes once a week leading up to the rut...

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I open and maintain several successful mock scrapes every year and THE absolute best scent products that I have found are James Valley Scents Gels. In fact, many of the mature bucks I've posted photos of over the past few years, both of ones I've tagged and many more that my trail cams have captured, were taken using JVS Lethal Weapon Gel and Wall Hanger Gel. I simply open up a bare spot on the gound and apply one kind of scent and then apply the other kind on the overhanging branch. I don't know what it is about this stuff but it flat out WORKS far better than anything else I've ever tried. Buy a jar or two and see for yourself?

·
Registered
905 Posts
scrapes

I like to start mind early and try to get the big bucks interested in it. In Missouri we can hunt Sept. 15, 2006. Bachelor bucks still together in places.
On the scrape I like to put some in a film cannister below the ground and even with the top of the scrape and just a little soil over it. Then use my gels and put some ont he licking brance and on some leafs on the scrape but I turn the leaf over so the sun does not dry it up as fast, and some urine on the ground. Steady

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.
So just putting this stuff directly on the ground is the way to go huh? I was actually considering buying one of those drippers from Wildlife Research (at Wal-Mart), but I think I'll just do what you guys suggest.

NOW, WHERE is the best place to buy James Valley Scents???
Does this stuff have a good shelf life after it's opened or must you use it all up at once?

Looks like you guys recommending the "Wall Hanger Gel" and the "Lethal Weapon Gel" ???

I would feel better using something like "Rutting Buck Piss" or "Doe In Heat Estrus Urine" or "Tarsal Gland Juice", so maybe James Valley Scents will have this stuff.
Not to doubt you at all Cornfed, but I just prefer to have a scent that is actually supposed to be something that comes out of a live deer.
Now I'm NOT saying that your recommendations apply here, but I have never liked those "curiousity" or "wonder" scents or anything like that.
Just give me the good ol fashioned scents from a deers body, and I'm good to go.
I've got to check out these James Valley Scents for sure... I will Google for further info, but if anyone has THE place to order them, I would appreciate it...

·
Registered
201 Posts
watched a tv show last week. the pro said he stops and relieves himself in the scrape on the way to his stand said it really works. one gun season couple of years back i drank abit too much coffee and had to relieve myself. after i was done i moved down the hill away from the area, about a hour later i looked up the hill and there stands an 8 piont pawing the ground i pissed on and tasting the same ground. his rack is now in my garage.sounds like the pro knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I think we've all pissed in a scrape before. I used to piss right out of the Summit Viper. Once, I had a small 8pt come right in during the stream of "flow". Luckily I was able to pinch it off, and hold it, until he finished investigating, and walked off (he wasn't a shooter)...
Very cool to say the least...

Heck, maybe I'll save my $$, and just drink coffee before each hunt...

Seriously though guys, I would rather try out some of these James Valley scents this year. Sound great, and I just need to find the best place to order them, and see what kind of selection they have...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thier web site.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
As long as you don't take prescription medications, I don't think deer care if its deer or human urine. Make sure there is a licking branch about 4 ft above the scrape. Use rubber gloves and spray down your boots completely before walking to the area. I would also wear scent pads on my boots with buck urine sprayed on them.

·
Keeping it Simple... ;)
1,921 Posts
watched a tv show last week. the pro said he stops and relieves himself in the scrape on the way to his stand said it really works. one gun season couple of years back i drank abit too much coffee and had to relieve myself. after i was done i moved down the hill away from the area, about a hour later i looked up the hill and there stands an 8 piont pawing the ground i pissed on and tasting the same ground. his rack is now in my garage.sounds like the pro knows what he's talking about.
I will never buy another urine based attractant scent product ever again. This works. I have shot my best buck to date only an hour after freshening a scrape I knew he was using. I have alot of pics of mature bucks scraping in scrapes I've freshened. Actually I have a theory on it... I wonder if somehow a buck can tell the level of testoserone in urine? And being a human and the way their testosterone level amps up at that time of year... That there is no way that we could ever reach that level so it always seems like it's a subordinate little feller? Idk if there is anything to it. Just a theory...

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Find a used trail...Right off the side of the trail take you boot and scrape the covering off the top of the ground and then take a piss in it...scrape made...

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I use the scrape drippers with great success. I've also use scented soils with a trail camera snapping shots of the scrape. Both have worked well for me.

I try to put the mocks in the same spot each year or I will hang the dripper over a natural scrape. Both have worked real well for me in the past.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts