·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem
On my deer lease we are allowed to take 1 trophy buck 51/2 or older
1 cull buck that has abnormal antlers but must be 31/2 or older
or a 8 point that is over 41/2.

Now a buck in good health in this part of the country will carry 10 or more points and have a 20" or more inside spread with good mass.

The problem is that there is a 10 point that we have been seeing for the last 3 years that the first year we saw him he had about a 14" spread good hight but thin antlers. The second year the only thing that changed was he added some mass. Now I saw him this last weekend and although he is in full velvet the spread and hight are the same cant tell about the mass.

This deer is probably 61/2 he has shown no sighn of reaching trophy status but he falls under that catagory on my lease. I say he should fall under the same catagory as a 41/2 year old 8 point cull what do you think.

This deer will score in the mid 130,s

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
sounds olike you found you found your cull buck. that buck is probably neveer going to mget aby bigger ans if you've been watcghubg him for a while and he hasn't goyyen bigger and wider then it's time to cull him, and get him out of the gene pool.
i am guessing since ican't him see him he would be better off as table fare
rob k

·
Registered
740 Posts
If he hasn't grown up by 6 1/2 with good range conditions then he is not going to.

Don't forget that spread adds VERY little to the over all score; yes, I agree it makes him more appealing but it adds little to the score.

Bboswell

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sounds like a genitic situation. Call in a Q.D.M. expert for help.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
A CULL BUCK IS WHAT I CALL A CULL BUCK!!! Seriously, the 10 point by 5 1/2 that doesn't change is a cull or at least one that should be removed from the breeding stock.

Jeff/5575 sounds like I need to come hunt your part of Texas instead of mine!!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
what I call A cull buck is one I couldn't get a shot at. But sounds like yours fits the club definition too.

·
Shut up and Shoot!!!
6,256 Posts
I call a cull buck any mature buck that does not have the qualities that I want bred into the rest of my herd. Whether it is narrow spreads, short tines, lack of tines, etc. It does not have to be a 8 point or something like that. Any quality that I do not want in the herd. Just remember though, the doe contributes half the genetics to the babies. Takes some time before you start seeing the real benefits of this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts