Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Custom: An adjective describing any product that is special in some way, individually created for a specific user or system, as opposed to generic or off-the-shelf.

I've been seeing more and more ads here and there for "Custom" compound bows for sale. Even with the Walmart variety like the Bear Brave, etc! When I look at bows in some of these ads, they are about as custom as my Mercury Sable station wagon! Really, some are just as they came from the shelf. Others have had a bright colored dampener kit installed and all of a sudden, it's a "custom" bow. Then you start seeing a few advertised as Custom bows that just have custom strings. So I guess "Custom" is very subjective. What is "Custom" to you?

To me, the custom string and dampeners is "semi" Custom. To me, custom means significantly physically altered or significantly different from factory. Even a bow with a custom paint job is simply that....a bow with a "Custom Paint" or "Custom Dip". Underneath, it is a factory bow. I think the proper term for those is "custom dipped" or "custom painted" bow.

To give some examples of my idea of custom; back in the "old days", some of us would replace our axles with longer axles, slap a string terminal on each side(I called them barrels), and made up strings with a split harness so we could get the cam lean out of our bows. I also put High Country hatchet cams on one of my browning Mirages, along with longer axles and a split harness. I currently have a "custom" EVO7 by Brethn with Omen cams and a set of his strings. These bows I consider custom.

Even as true "custom" goes, there are different degrees and typed of custom. We've even come up with different names for custom bows. Frankenbows, Wharfed, the one we used back in the day, Bastar-dized. We even have names for custom tune jobs, like Chrackerized, to describe a bow that has been custom tune by Chrackers. You can even add a custom cord to your limb driver, and now you are "driven to the max"!

Like I said, this "CUSTOM" thing is pretty subjective. It's hard to say definitively when the bow becomes custom. But chances are, if you can walk in a retail store or pro shop, and walk out with it in a few minutes, it's not very custom. Unless it happens to be one of those shops like Brethns pro shop. lol.

· X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Custom would be something everyone can't just buy. It has to be one of a kind.

· Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoyt Pro Elite DST
Martin NitrousX "B" cam shoot through system.
VT strings.

I think "modified" is the term I would use.
Nice, hooks.

Modification is simply the process you went through to make it custom. :p But I like "modified" too. I'm getting ready to do some more modifying myself. Thanks for your input.

· Registered
5,286 Posts
Modified/personalized........!??

· Premium Member
27,378 Posts
these 2 for sure

1-Pse Axe 6(2010 riser) with 2013 Evo max cams kolorfused in Stormy original with Breathn string and Cables built by John...

2-Pse Vendetta Xl(2010 riser) with Drive cams with limbs kolorfused in Stormy original with Breathn string and Cables built by John.....

· Registered
214 Posts
Custom, to me, implies a one off item that nobody else has due to one off parts being made. Bamboo fly rods, guns and Hot Rods fall in my toys that can be custom category. Bows are hard to categorize as you can't typically build them with one off components due to the physics of their design. You can "personalize" them with different colors accessories or paint schemes off the shelf. But I doubt they can be considered true customs in the technical sense as the paint and components can be bought off the shelf.

If you had somebody machine you a unique riser or cams it would be a custom in the true sense of the word. Build you own long bow/ recurve and I imagine you could call it a custom. Building a bow with parts from different bows to make a one of a kind....custom. Ordering a bow with 50-60 lb. limbs with 65% let off, having parts powder coated or dipped and adding pretty color dampers, strings and stops ..... not custom. Personalized, but not custom, since anybody can order or buy the same thing.

I build my own arrows. I cut them to my specific length, I spine/ index them, add my own vanes and wraps. So are they custom or personalized? Since I am not doing anything unique and everything can be purchased off the shelf, I consider them personalized.

If it makes you feel better then call your accessorized bow custom. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. When it comes to selling your "custom" bow just don't expect to sell it for more because you added off the shelf paint and parts.

JMHO

· Registered
3,942 Posts
You order a bow from OK Archery, they will send you a questionery to fill in your own specs, and you will receive the bow exactly like that, it will fit you perfect and if you decide to sell it the other guy will have to chase the parts to he's own specs.
My specs are in example: I like to shoot a #57.5 lbs with holding weight of 22.5 lbs, my true draw length is 27.2" not AMO or IBO or any other **** but the real distance from the grip valley to nocking point,
I like to have the powerstroke smooth, so I chose the large cams vs medium or small,
I chose either 60 or 70 % letoff modules in my draw length or eventually I order couple more shorter or longer modules to play with on my own if
I order some custom length cables and strings,
I can chose my own colors from 10 or 12 different Zeiss coatings (if you know the camera brand Zeiss, also making one of the best lenses worlwide) all colors I can mix and match for every individual part on the bow, let say dark blue riser and yellow cams and @#$% whatever color string stops and the rubber pieces to be purple.....you got it?
Also, the draw weight is flexible, I don't have to wind the limb bolts at all I just swap the limb holding blocks, to picture it, I could have the limb bolts all the way in and have a full draw weight of in example 55 or 60 or 65 lbs with same limbs,
To tune this bow further I don't need a bow press I can remove each cable and put a twist of my preference and put the cable back on the limb.
The bow comes in a box specially built for you, assembled and tuned, from specs you provided! You grab the bow and start scoring tournaments!
This I am calling a custom built bow ;) and coming from German engineering! These are all ultimate target rigs.
I had several OK Archery bows since 2011, the DST40, the ABS38 and now the ABS40 is in my way for 2015 tournament season.

· Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You order a bow from OK Archery, they will send you a questionery to fill in your own specs, and you will receive the bow exactly like that, it will fit you perfect and if you decide to sell it the other guy will have to chase the parts to he's own specs.
My specs are in example: I like to shoot a #57.5 lbs with holding weight of 22.5 lbs, my true draw length is 27.2" not AMO or IBO or any other **** but the real distance from the grip valley to nocking point,
I like to have the powerstroke smooth, so I chose the large cams vs medium or small,
I chose either 60 or 70 % letoff modules in my draw length or eventually I order couple more shorter or longer modules to play with on my own if
I order some custom length cables and strings,
I can chose my own colors from 10 or 12 different Zeiss coatings (if you know the camera brand Zeiss, also making one of the best lenses worlwide) all colors I can mix and match for every individual part on the bow, let say dark blue riser and yellow cams and @#$% whatever color string stops and the rubber pieces to be purple.....you got it?
Also, the draw weight is flexible, I don't have to wind the limb bolts at all I just swap the limb holding blocks, to picture it, I could have the limb bolts all the way in and have a full draw weight of in example 55 or 60 or 65 lbs with same limbs,
To tune this bow further I don't need a bow press I can remove each cable and put a twist of my preference and put the cable back on the limb.
The bow comes in a box specially built for you, assembled and tuned, from specs you provided! You grab the bow and start scoring tournaments!
This I am calling a custom built bow ;) and coming from German engineering! These are all ultimate target rigs.
I had several OK Archery bows since 2011, the DST40, the ABS38 and now the ABS40 is in my way for 2015 tournament season.
That sounds pretty impressive!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.