Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title of the post says what do you guys & gals do to pass the time in the stand? We've all had those slow days in the stand not seeing/hearing anything at all especially early season.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Nap.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If its dry out and I have nice loud leaves then I read. I get a new paperback or two at the start of every season. On a long rut hunt (first week of November), I may read close to an entire book...as Long as I can hear them coming..read a page the scan with eyes and binos then read another page.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Somedays I read books on my ipad mini. It's small enough that I can tuck into the lower front pocket of my harness vest without it getting in the way when I have something come in.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Shoot deer , get down - i dont like to sit very long so i just get done . I like 15 min. hunts myself and no they are wild deer . OK - its only happened 4 times , but , this is the way i approach every sit.
I am on high alert from second 1 - til i get down - no toys for me .

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I tell ya what I do. I look for deer and try to be the predator we are. We're out there to look for game to harvest. I spend allot of time on stand ESP durin the rut and rifle season. I'm there to hunt. I'm not trying to be ignorant but you should be in a spot you expect to see deer and should be paying attention.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Look for deer...not much else to do when i'm deer hunting...

lol, this is such an odd thread question, it's like: What do you do to pass the time while at work?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
For those of you who read, play games or other things to pass the time besides watching for deer. I did a time study one weekend while hunting in the woods, not a field. Every deer I saw, I timed. from the moment I saw it to the moment it was gone out of sight. I also counted how many times during these sightings that I lost sight of the deer due to angles, trees or brush. This in not scientific or anything but what I found was the average deer encounter was less than a minute and I lost sight no less than 3 times during the encounters. There were 10 deer total and all were basically just moving through not feeding. So, if you are reading, dozing or simply distracted the buck of a lifetime may have already passed you by. Now if you are hunting a field go crazy but for me. If I am in the woods I am constantly scanning.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I look for deer, or turkeys if the area has any. I pass the time looking for deer by giving the squirrels that make too much noise a death glare, then return to looking for deer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I read a book.....Reading the Lone Survivor right now, it is excellent if anyone is interested....
Read this book last year in the stand. Toward the end it caused me to get something in my eyes and they teamed up a bit. Tough to see a deer like that. American sniper doesn't come close IMHO.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts